Bag advice: E-M5, 12-35, 35-100

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mistermark, Nov 10, 2012.

1. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Does anyone here have the above kit? If so, what bag do you use for that kit (and nothing else, except maybe a couple of spare batteries and SD cards), and are you pleased with it?

I'm trying to source a small, light bag, ideally rainproof and tough, for the OMD and two fast Panny zooms.
  2. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I have tried a few bags and end up with LowePro event messenger 150. Perfect size for the OMD set and fairly light weight.
  3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    What type of bag are you looking for? May I guess a messenger style bag?

If so, the Crumpler 5 Million may be the ideal size. Perhaps the 6 Million if you carry around the OM-D with full grip, lens pouches, etc, or just playing it safe for extra room.

I also like the Acme Made Messenger. I often carry the OM-D with grip, two lenses and a speedlite, plus the usual extra SD cards, extra battery, white balance cards, cleaning cloth, etc.
  4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    i got a 4million crumpler bag... with your gear - i think a 5M will do. check also on thinktank retrospective 5 or 7 and billingham hadley pro.
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Tamrac Aria 6 is my choice - super light, slim, padded enough, water resistant, no noisy velcro, and even room for a tablet.
  6. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Thanks; I'm tempted by the Lowepro Event Messenger but wish it had the AW feature of some of the firm's other bags.

Regarding Crumpler, has anyone tried the Jackpack 1500 with this system? Is it a good fit?
  7. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I use:

- it fits body, 3 lenses (including my 100-300), numerous accessories in and holds them all snugly, leaving room for a drink, t-shirt and Snickers bar as well. In the separate front (zip up) compartment there is a slot that could have been made to measure for a BLS5 battery.
    It's the perfect size for me, not a fat boy like a Lowepro, and it's got a groovy yellow interior. Hangs off the shoulder very nicely. It is small, lightweight, rain resistant and tough.
  8. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    I use a Lowepro Exchange Messenger
    Very light and small and inexpensive
    Holds an E-M5 with lens and 4-5 other lenses
  9. String

String Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    I'm a big fan of the Think Tank bags. The Retro 5 should fit your bill perfectly. The TT bags are on the expensive side but they are built to last a lifetime.
  10. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Thanks everyone for your advice. My only concern is that some of the bags that have been recommended are larger than I need. I really only need to carry an E-M5 with 12-35 mounted and the 35-100, a couple of batteries and some SD cards and two 58mm filters. The 35-100 is a little under 10cm high; I would prefer a bag thatis not significantly taller or wider than it needs to be, given the size of m43 gear. I'd also like it to be weather-resistant if possible, and fairly tough, but also light.
  11. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
  12. charleychen

charleychen Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2012
    New York
    Try the domke 803-b or the thinktank slim changer. They are both very small and will definitely fit the EM-5 with the two lenses plus a fl-300, if you need a flash.
  13. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Cheap. Acme made messenger. Expensive. Billingham Hadley small. In between. Artisan and Artist Retrospective 5.

14. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
  15. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    I put up a post in the "Bags and more Bags" thread yesterday about my new Domke F-8. It might be what you're looking for. Much more detailed pictures are on my website here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    After almost 60 years of taking pictures, I have come to rely on Domke bags. Like almost everyone, I have a closet full of bags, some cheap, some VERY expensive. I currently use a Domke F2 and an F6, depending on my need at the time. I think the F8 would be ideal for your needs. Whatever you choose, I highly recommend the Domke-FA-031 Shoulder Pad. It is tapered to keep tour bag level on your shoulder (like a mail carrier's bag) and adds less than $15 to the price. I wish I could express in words my feeling, my trust in Domke products; they are the only bags that have never let me down. The only bag that comes close is the very expensive Billingham. Good luck with your search. Just remember that, even in spite of my feeling for Domke, there is NO perfect camera bag. Believe me; I've spent 50+ years looking for it.
  17. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011

I believe Domke is the bag that you are looking for but the size you need for the description quoted is the 5XB... there are F-5XB and J-5XB versions (canvas and nylon). I have the Domke/Tamron which is the same size but limited edition without belt loop and different front pockets. I have my blk canvas Domke pictured with 12-35 and 75-300mm similar size setup to what you describe (see attached files and please forgive the iphone pics). Plenty of room remains in front pocket and interior pockets for filters and cards (my bag has extra batts, strobe adapter, cleaning cloths and lollipops inside).

Attached Files:

18. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'll chuck in another vote for Domke, but I'd recommend the F-10. Classic, simple canvas design that comfortably takes my GH2 with Nokton 17.5mm/25mm and m.ZD 75mm and room to spare. Pretty sure it would take a EM5, 12-35m and 35-100mm snugly.
  19. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions. The Domke F-5XB looks particularly interesting. I'm going to find a retailer that has one in stock that I can check out.
  20. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I just bought a Lowepro Nova 140 AW, it's just what you are after, I have a G5 and 12-35 and there is room for another lens, the 35-100 would fit in nicely.
    Here are 2 pics.