Baffin Island

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Arctic Photog, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Arctic Photog

Arctic Photog Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    I'm on a work related trip to Baffin Island this week and I am visiting a couple of small coastal communities. The first one is Kimmirut which is pictured bellow, to bad it rained the whole time I was there or else \i would have had better photos.
    [​IMG]

I will post more later when I get home, the internet connection here is really slow.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

And I'll be waiting to see them.

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Somewhere else I'll never get to - yes more please.

4. Muggie

Muggie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Looking forward to seeing more too! And they say being out in bad weather is the best for landscapes because IF and when it clears you get the transition... so it is a calculated opportunity that sometimes really pays off! Maybe next time? :smile:

5. Arctic Photog

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    Here is another one from today's trip to Cape Dorset on the western side of Baffin Island. I wish I could spend a week in each community up here, the vistas are just incredible. I only got to spend 1 hour in each community.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Man, the world is a beautiful place....

Something tells me we're not in Philly anymore Toto.....

7. Arctic Photog

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    Here is one I took from the plane while bouncing around like a ping pong ball.
    [​IMG]

At certain parts of the flight I was looking up at the mountains as we were flying low in the valleys. At times we were flying at 1000 feet and may even below that. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Arctic Photog

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    Here is a shot of the plane I was in... basically a cargo plane that they added 2 seats in for us to sit in. :frown:

Oh well... I survived once again!!!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

Arctic, can you remind me again what you're doing up there and how long you've been living there?

You have got a photo essay emerging, I think.:wink:

10. Arctic Photog

May 20, 2010
    Canada's Arctic
    I've been up here for 10 years this month... I remember getting off the plane on June 13th and there was about 6 inches of snow on the ground. I said to myself what are you doing here. :eek: I was only planning on staying a couple of years but I fell in love with the Arctic and decided to stay.

I first came up north to work the Northwest Company which used to be the famous Hudson Bay Company. I guess I wanted to follow in the steps of the voyagers who used to explore the North. I now work for the Government of Nunavut in the petroleum department. All our heating fuel and gasoline is brought into the Arctic by tankers in the short summer months. It's my job to make sure all our 27 communities Tank Farms are well maintained and safe.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

Wonderful story of how you landed there and stayed. Thanks Arctic, I really like having a story to go along with photographs when I can.