1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bad idea to replace G5 with EPL-6?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Desert_B, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Just became aware of the EPL-6 being available for $299 in the U.S.

I have a G5, my very first m4/3, which I adore due to the flip touchscreen and overall ease of use. However, some things about the G5 are getting a bit long in the tooth (ISO performance) and I'll need to replace it at some point. I'm wondering if the EPL-6 could be a suitable replacement. Would I be disappointed, or miss certain things, aside from the hand grip?

(I do have an EPL-3 and I love it, but the lack of touchscreen, and horrid menu navigation, have kept me from using it more.)

2. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I have a G5 and I previously had a G2. I also have an E-PM1 that's from the same generation as the E-PL3. To me, the autofocus from Panasonic seems to be in a completely different league. I've often wondered if my E-PM1 is faulty because it often fails to focus where the G5 (or the G2 previously) won't even hesitate. It kind of puts me off Olympus, though I'm hoping they've improved things on the newer models because I'm otherwise tempted by the EM10. How does your E-PL3 autofocus compare to your G5?

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    You can get used EM10 for not so much more (e.g. $370) and it's way more of camera than EPL6..

4. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I own a G5 and an E-PM2, the latter of which should have the same image quality as the E-PL6. I like the G5 more due to the ergonomics. My wife uses the E-PM2. The differences in image quality in low light are probably not great enough to justify making the change you propose. Yes, the sensor in the Olympus cameras is better than the old G5 sensor, but not by a lot and not enough to make up for other features.

The Olympus models with better IS (either 3-axis or 5-axis) might be worth it, but they are more expensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I would not think the E-PL6 would make a good replacement for a G5 given the handling differences and lack of a view finder. The E-M10 would be a better comparison and replacement.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well, probably the GX7 if you are used to Panasonic, but yes, something like that.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  7. martin-jo

martin-jo New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2013
    Germany
    I own a G5 (my first m43) and also a E-PM2, which I bought 1 year after the G5. The latter one works like a charm if you activate the "super-menu". Not sure if that works on e-pl3 as well. (http://blog.atmtxphoto.com/2013/05/07/turning-on-the-olympus-super-control-panel/). I also bought a VF-4 (used) since I missed the EVF of the G5 on the e-pm2.

For quite while I was also thinking to switch to a different camera and upgrade and/or at least have 2 same bodies around of ideally same brand due to mixing up handling when shooting & changing fast. So, better be aware of that.

Then the main question is - what is the pressing need for higher ISO? I am agreeing to the previous posts...
    Except for a axis-stabilized camera like the EP5 / EM5 (getting cheaper these days) / EM5 Mk II - from what I have read during my search - I would not get much of a benefit from anything else below these in comparison to my G5.

In the end I bought another prime like the Oly 25mm 1.8, which helps a lot in many difficult situations and may make a much larger difference than switching to a camera like e-pl6. Glass always comes first...

My 2 cents...

• Like Like x 1
  8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I'd definitely save my pennies and get something other than the PL6. The PL6 is pretty much the PL5; and the PL5 is the same as the PM2 with a flippy screen and removeable grip. I upgraded (yes, upgraded) my PM2 to a GM1 and while I do prefer Olympus menus and handling, I lose the shutter shock I was getting on the PM2. That alone gains me like 2 stops in low-light. I opted for the GM1 but I was darn close to getting the PL7, which is pretty much an E10 without a viewfinder. These latter two cameras both have good in-body stabilization (PM2 has it but it's useless).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Many, many thanks for the information. I have to confess that I don't have a very good handle on the various m4/3 options that are out there -- I live in the boondocks with no camera stores nearby and virtually no one in my acquaintance who uses m4/3.

On a bit of an impulse, I did end up ordering the EPL-6 (package included 40-150, which I have been wanting to add to my line-up). If nothing else, this will give me the impetus to get rid of the EPL-3. May give it to a friend.

I am eyeing the EPL-X as a possible travel camera for an upcoming trip. I do have the LX100, which is the current frontrunner in my travel plans, but I can't figure out how sad I will be to be without the 45/1.8 and 20/1.7. The LX100 just doesn't always perform the way I'd really like it to; guess I am really spoiled by the nice m4/3 primes.

10. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

The best camera is the one you like. It's the photographer that creates a great photo - the camera is only one of several tools he uses!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    I moved from G5 to E-PL7 and no regrets so far... The IBIS was the main reason as my fave lenses (at the time) didn't have IS 7-14mm, 20/1.7 & 45/1.8 and as I used the LCD 95% of the time I didn't think I would miss the EVF (since got the VF-4 just in case).

I think the E-PL6 (E-PL5) is a similar generation camera to the G5 so not sure if you are going to get maximum benefit from switching to be honest unless you want the 2-axis IBIS. I guess it depends on your budget and needs if you want to spend a bit more for the later bodies e.g. E-PL7, E-M10, GX7

12. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    My cold feet got the best of me, and I did immediately return the EPL6 (+40-150 lens). Now I can take the time to think through this more carefully. The EPL7 looks promising (wish it had EVF, since I do need that at times). GX7 also interesting, of course. Adorama has it for $530.

13. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I'd probably keep an eye out for the GX7, which looks sweet considering the price it's going for these days. I got my EM10 for about 450 last summer as refurbished, if you're interested in going that route. It's basically the EPL7 with a viewfinder.

• Like Like x 1
  14. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I don't think you're going to find much improvement in ISO performance in any of the cameras mentioned in this thread over the G5. I do think that if you like the side-hinged screen and the controls, you may end up regretting some of these moves. The G7 is rumored to be around the corner. You might see what that has to offer. Even there, though, I don't think the sensor or IQ will be revolutionary, maybe not even very evolutionary. I have a G5 and am tempted by the dropping prices of the G6, but I'm considering the change for a couple features not for IQ reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    it seems the upcoming g7 will have the same sensor as the gx7, so you might want to wait for it's rumored mid-may announcement. it'll probably be the better upgrade option from a g5 since you're already used to the ergonomics. ;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  16. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    I'm in the midst of researching to upgrade my G3.

Any issues with the 20mm on the EPL7 especially AF in low light? Some say AF is noticeably slower in EPL7 compared to GX7. What's your experience with the G5?

Seems banding issue is no more with the latest firmware.

17. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    I've had no issues with focusing using the 20/1.7 on the E-PL7 comparative to the G5 or GF1 which I had before although it's still relatively slow in modern terms.... in fact it was one of the reasons to get myself a Oly 17/1.8 as I prefer the classic 35mm FOV... I don't really pixel peep so can't say if it's any better than the 20/1.7 but the autofocus works much faster!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    I see the EM 10 on Amazon for under $450. Could be my imagination, but I think this price has gone down. Mighty appealing as a replacement for my G5.

EDIT: The seller gets some negative reviews.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    there will be mother's day and memorial day sales on refurbished stuff from Olympus. I'd wait for those.

• Like Like x 1
  20. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    I have the g5 too and high iso noise was a little issue too...until I realized that bounced flash + monopod would solve the problem. Very affordable fix too.