Backyard bird photographers: is your feeder killing birds?

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
My mum, who was both an avid birder and old enough to have seen off Mr Hitler when she was a FANY (if you insist on sniggering that's fine), always told me that the only time to put food out for the birds about the house was when there was snow or ice on the ground. She never fed them the rest of the year. I think her advice was pretty sound, really. It's the way I've always fed my birds anyway.

And this Phocal fella - what does he know about bird feeders? He's never had to use one himself, he just photographs the birds on his neighbour's feeder. Perhaps even his neighbour's neighbour's feeder. :D

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Plenty of water bowls specially, Angus. The bees need them too, with a rock in the middle to help prevent bees drowning. Very necessary around swimming pools.
Yeah I always put (clean) rocks in them so small birds and bees don't drown.

Hanging bird feeders over bird baths, on the ground too, particularly if your neighbourhood has a lot of cats roaming about.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Our cats have always been 24/7 indoors, but some cat owners are just bloody irresponsible.
I'm not a cat person, but I respect other's rights to have a cat. But agreed, I have no time for people who let their cats be a nuisance.

I just moved, if I see cats around, I'm getting a(n RSPCA approved) trap and taking it to the pound. I want my place to be a safe space for native wildlife.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
I'm not a cat person, but I respect other's rights to have a cat. But agreed, I have no time for people who let their cats be a nuisance.

I just moved, if I see cats around, I'm getting a(n RSPCA approved) trap and taking it to the pound. I want my place to be a safe space for native wildlife.
I don't know the rules where you are, Angus, but cats are allowed outside here between an hour after sunrise to an hour before sunset.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Yeah I always put (clean) rocks in them so small birds and bees don't drown.

Hanging bird feeders over bird baths, on the ground too, particularly if your neighbourhood has a lot of cats roaming about.

Putting rocks in a bird bath is also a good idea. You want to discourage birds from bathing (and defacating) in the water, yet allow them to take a drink.

Encouraging birds to use natural sources for bathing (puddles and such) is healthier for the birds.

Also, having an overhang for feeders and water is beneficial so the birds can be somewhat sheltered from hawks, etc., when eating/bathing.

Otherwise, your feeder/bath is just acting as bait, and that could lead to the deaths of animals you are trying to attract.

Whenever I'm out birding/photographing birds I never stop unless I'm underneath cover. This serves two purposes:
1) keeps me in the shade, which is more enjoyable and offers protection againt skin cancer
2) Makes me less likely to divulge the location of a bird/nest to other animals that might eat a bird/egg.
Animals are smart. They will observe human behavior to help them find food. If you don't believe me, I suggest you visit your local park and watch pigeons/geese/squirrels approach humans.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Also, having an overhang for feeders and water is beneficial so the birds can be somewhat sheltered from hawks, etc., when eating/bathing.
Hawks aren't really a problem in Brisbane. We will see some osprey and wedgetails but they don't really hang out in the inner suburbs and more likely at local Wetlands.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
I have to admit that against all my photographic "ethics" when I first moved into my current home I installed a feed table and bird bath until such time as my garden became established. I am lucky nowadays that the "water free garden" that I planned has come to fruition and I have an all year round abundance of natural feed for the birds and the feeder has long gone. I have grevillias, some of which flower all year round and bottle brushes and also many different varieties of succulents and aloes that tend to flower mid winter.

Cats are a nuisance though and my water gun gets a workout quite often.

32748497887_090f66691b_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Blue Faced Honeyeater (4) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

Latest threads

Top Bottom