Backup to GH2 - GH1 or GF2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by John M Flores, Jan 24, 2011.

1. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I've got the GH2 and am happy with it so far. It's my first M43 camera. I'm thinking of getting a second body as a backup for my still photography (motorcycle travel) and as a backup for the video projects that I land. I was initially drawn to the GF2, primarily for its small size, but now there are GH1's on the market at really nice prices.

So what's the collective wisdom of the group with regards to both still image quality and video quality? Does the GH1 still rule despite being older than the GF2?

Any feedback appreciated...

2. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    I went a different route - I started with a Oly EPL1 and just got the GH2 as my primary cam. That being said, I do really like the EPL1. Its only limitation, in my eyes, was the video. It does shoot great 720P motion JPEGs (limit just over 7 mins per video), but I needed one that would allow me 2+ hours of straight video. The JPEGs from the EPL1 look great - RAW even better. The video doesn't compare to the GH2. It is, however, better than my prosumer canon HD video cams (Vixia HF20).

Plus, the size can't be beat. You can fit the EPL1 body in the same camera bag you already use without it really taking up much space.

Cheers-
    J.

3. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I have a GF-1 and see no advantage into moving up to the GF-2. Now if I never had a GF-1 I would make my vision based on which one was the cheaper. The one caveat is if video is your driving force for acquiring a camera you should consider the GF-2.

Now that is my 2ยข , but remember this advice plus $1.50 should be able to get me a cup of coffee

4. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

My 2 cents

Consider the G2.
    Slightly smaller / lighter than GH2 - but similar in style. If you like the GH2, G2 will be it's little brother.
    Less $$
    One great camera!

5. brunerww

brunerww  

Mar 5, 2011
    I'm in the same boat, John. Looking at either the GH1 or the G2 as a backup to the GH2. Pros for the GH1 are 1080p & built-in stereo mic; Primary argument for the G2 is the similarity of its interface to the GH2's (e.g., touch-screen & video button on top). And there are pretty good prices on both. I'm leaning towards the GH1 for video resolution and price (unless the G3 comes out in a couple of weeks and blows them both away ;-)).

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    All other things being equal, I'd be inclined to have one Panasonic and one Olympus. All other things were not equal and when I got a GH2 I sold my ep2 and kept the gf1 as a backup because I just like the feel of a quicker operating camera more than I cared about the various upsides of the ep2. But from what I've been reading, the new epl2 operates at much more Pany-like speeds while still having IBIS and those nice Oly jpeg colors for folks who like to shoot jpeg (or who like to hand the camera off to a family member from time to time to take a few shots). So if I were buying a second cam today as a backup to a GH2, I'd give the epl2 a good hard look. I'd also want a more compact backup if the gh2 was my main camera, but that's a personal preference.

-Ray

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    FTR, I just ordered the GH1 for backup duty at the hard to resist Facebook price of $299. At that price, it's hard to justify paying more for a smaller but less capable GF2 or even the smaller but less video capable/controllable G3...

8. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    GH2 + GH1 (at this price!) great strategy.

Back when I really relied on my gear for a living, I tried to buy a pair of nearly identical cameras, one chrome, one black. Originally to distinguish between B&W and colour loads. Magazines carried both, so it mattered.
    Today, it's mostly a matter of keeping the menus as much consistent as possible. Them camera bodies are complicated enough. Even having a Leica M2 + an M3 could get distressing: same shutter, f/stop, and general feeling, but one had single-throw film advance, the other--two.
    With all the bloody reading we have to do on modern cameras, it matters even more.

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I know you already ordered the GH1, but the GF2 + 14-42mm lens is $350 which isn't a bad price.

10. brunerww

brunerww  

Mar 5, 2011
    Followed your lead, John. Ordered the GH1 as a backup camera for the GH2 ($399.95 at Adorama).

Adorama says it is on its way. I am so psyched!

11. The GH1 is a nice backup for my E-P1.