Backup for EM5 - EM10 body or Stylus1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by letsgofishing, Mar 24, 2014.

1. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Going to be travelling to Panama, Costa Rica and Mexico for around 2-3 months and I'm thinking of gettinga backup for the EM5.
    The EM10 body only and Stylus1 are almost the same price...
    I don't really shoot animals/birds so don't really need the long end of the Stylus lens.
    I have the Oly 12-40, Sigma 60 and Rokinon 7.5 - which camera would you choose and why.

2. penWS

penWS Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2013
    New Zealand
    If you don't need the f/2.8 long zoom of the Stylus1, why not the E-M10? It will give you significantly better image quality over the Stylus1, and also you will save the hassle of changing lenses often with 2 bodies.:biggrin:

3. dafloyd

dafloyd Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2013
    Munich, Germany
    Dirk Essl
    If you get the E-M10 as a backup it might be as well that this will be the camera you will use more then your E-M5. Some options and customizations are just right on the E-M10. For me especially the FN2 button which can be pressed to change ISO/WB with the dials quickly, I so miss that on the E-M5.

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Beware that E-M10 uses different battery and charger. For a lot of people this would defeat the purpose of a backup camera for travel.

5. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Look for a second hand em5. Handles the same and the same battery... Perfect.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I agree, second E-M5. Same batteries, same chargers, same handling, especially if you're not interested in the additional reach.

7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Definitely second of the same body! That way both are programmed the same. You can grab the body that has the most appropriate lens mounted without worrying if a body is the best choice for the scene. Also you know all the accessories work with both bodies.

8. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    If, as you say, you don't need/want the long end of the Stylus 1, then I would agree about another m4/3 body. And while I have the EM10 and am very happy, and there are some additions that make me prefer it over the EM5 (that I previously owned), there is something to say for the same battery and same camera setups. (And while I love the Stylus 1 and planned on that being my "travel" camera, the IQ out of the m4/3 bodies won out and I will be taking the EM10 instead.)

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    A used e-m5 sounds the obvious thing. If you want to smaller/cheaper, an e-Pl5 would be a good choice too. Same sensor, smaller, cheaper.

10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd probably go with another E-M5 as well, unless there was a need for something small, in which case I'd be thinking RX100. Not sure if the OP needs that on this trip though.

11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Mike!

The current U.S. Amazon prices (I dunno about South Africa :wink: ):

E-M5 $668
    E-M10 $699
    Stylus 1 $644

Prices are, of course, body only and do not include local taxes (shipping appears to be free) - so the prices are about a wash.

Given that you want a true 'backup' camera and not a second shooting body I'd go with another E-M5. Controls are identical to your main shooter so you won't fumble for controls when swapping bodies. Batteries and accessories remain fully transferable between bodies and you would only need one battery charger.

Regards,

Jim

12. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Thanks everyone for your insights - for some weird reason never thought of a 2nd hand EM5 :blush: - this does make sense. Have never handled the EM10 - will do so and then decide.