1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Backup/cheap body

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Superstriker#8, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Which would you recommend for a backup/cheap body for everyday carry around uses; mostly for photos, but maybe a few videos, too. I'm leaning toward either of the E-PM1, E-PL3, or GF3, but other suggestions are welcome. I currently shoot a G5, so the GF3 would be familiar, with better video, but the Oly's have a better JPEG engine, considering I will be using that most of the time.

2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I just picked up a GM1 body only for around $400. So first question, what's cheap to you?

3. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Cheap would be around $200, or so.

4. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    How about a G3? they are dirt cheep now plus it has a viewfinder.

5. ramseeker

ramseeker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Grand Island, NY
    Jim
    How about another G5? Same controls, same - everything.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Buy a used e-pL1, expect great Jpeg with nice colours
    but noisy high-ISO and some lenses are slower to focus than on your G5.
    You can use the pop-up flash to bounce indoors,
    and you can sell it on for what you paid.

7. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I'm still looking at a 2nd-hand backup myself. Might get an E-PM1 too, as I owned that before and liked it despite the lack of external dials and whatnot - maybe an E-PM2 if I can find a real nice price. I've been stalking KEH.com for a while now - they often have very nice prices for used kit, and from what I hear the kit is usually in really good condition even for "bargain" level gear.

8. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    E-PM1 is a good choice and can be had dirt cheap. However, you should be aware that it is quite unbalanced with bigger lenses. The sensor is good but not so much if low light capabilities and high ISO is required.

Why not E-PM2? Used one can be found here for $250.

9. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    The EPM1 is a steal now, returns can be had for less than a buck and a quarter. The EPM2 is much better in low light but in good light that margin is razor thin. I just love how sharp the 12mp files are SOOC.

10. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Your backup camera should be the same as your main camera, so that all of the controls and features are identical, you can share batteries and accessories, and so on. Anything else is counter-productive. As I know from painful experience.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I use an E-PL1 along with my E-PL5. They both use the same batteries and accessories* (if I want) and in terms of use, are almost identical. The Super Control Panel works the same on both, etc. I got the E-PL1 for similar reasons to the OP- to throw in a bag and not be so precious about. I didn't see the value in paying another $5-600 for a second E-PL5 considering I'm not a professional. $95 was easier to pay.

*OK, the little flash that came with the E-PL5 won't work on the E-PL1 which has one built in...

12. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    I also use an EPL1 with my EM5. I woulf recommend the EPL1 as the out of camera jpeg is great and you can a usef one at a very good price.

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2

13. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Does that mean the batteries BLM1 ? still work as well as the newer supplied with ones? Little tempted by one though I really should not :)

14. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I keep toying with the idea of a second (cheaper, more compact) body, since our "family camera" (a Canon compact) died last year. I was erring towards an E-PM1 which can be had occasionally for less than GBP100 with kit zoom, but then I saw I could get an E-PM2 for not that much more. The reconditioned ones sold by Olympus in Europe recently were going for an average of GBP230 on ebay.de (lowest I saw was GBP205 with zoom!), but I never quite got as far as bidding.

Then I wonder whether it would suit the intended users (other than me) as well as a simple compact (eg. bigger, removable/annoying lens cap etc), and what exactly I would use it for myself. Mostly I'd still want to use my G3. A GM1 would be lovely, but it's far from cheap, and I wouldn't want to leave it under a towel on the beach whilst swimming!

I've been yo-yoing a bit between better IQ (E-PM2) and buying something for under 100 that I would not feel too precious about taking to the beach etc.

It's funny - there seem to have been loads of duplicate threads like this popping up on here recently.

15. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    The E-PL1 came with a BLS-1 battery. It's compatible with the E-PL5 (BLS-5), and I use the Wasabi batteries also, all interchangeably without any problems that I've noticed.

16. unstable_rider

unstable_rider Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Land of Lakes
    Can you share some sources?

I see B & H has a used body for $175, were you seeing something new at a good price or were you talking used?

I'm not the OP.... just interested if they are in fact out there for "dirt cheap"

I prefer to buy new myself, perhaps some old stock at this point as it's a couple models old. I'm interested....

17. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I saw a couple for £80 and £90 from Wex photographic in the UK, that being said SRS have G5's for £199 that would be tempting. I am sure I have seen them go for south of £100 on the bay and I got my red one on here for less than £100.

18. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    There was also the mad event at Christmas where Tesco sold a bunch of them off for £30 apiece (most off which seemed to turn up on eBay shortly after...!)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk