1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Backup body...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RzzB, Dec 30, 2013.

1. RzzB

RzzB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    New to MFT...

I have just purchased a Panasonic GX7 for a trip to India in February. I'm downsizing from a 5DIII - just too much hassle on flights (particularly internal) and walking around town!

The lenses I have are...

Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 Prime
    Olympus 45mm f/1.8 Prime
    Olumpus 9-18mm f/4-5.6
    Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8
    Panasonic 45-200mm f/4-5.6
    Panasonic 100-300mm f/4-5.6

When I'm doing a photo trip with my Canon gear I carry a 7D body as backup. I do not have any MFT body as backup for India.

So me question is what I should be considering as a backup body?

Thanks,
    Roy

2. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Gm1 is a pretty fantastic backup/2nd body and it has the same sensor and image processor as your gx7.

3. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    I went for a GF3 for a tenth of the price (€69) of a GM1/GX7 FWIW. Still haven't got it yet though, I might sell it right away and work a few hours OT and get the GM1.

4. RzzB

RzzB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Many thanks for your responses.

One thing my backup MUST have is a viewfinder.... I should have mentioned that..

I guess that narrows the options.

I suppose I could consider an Olympus... ??

Roy

5. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    I would back it up with another GX7 if it were me and I had to have a view finder. Same button layout and menu so easy to switch back and forth. Still small with a viewfinder that doesn't need to be found and attached.

6. RzzB

RzzB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Hmmm... yes - that's sort of what I was thinking.

I was just wondering if there was a less expensive option - or perhaps I should go for an Olympus - then I could have the best of both worlds!!!

I'm not too familiar with the forum etiquette - would it be OK to cross post this in the "Olympus Cameras" forum?

Thanks,
    Roy

7. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Does it have to be an integrated VF? If not, look for a lightly used GX1 plus its VF.

8. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    gm1

9. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    I wouldnt be carrying all those lenses if it were me, my 20mm and 45mm are the two I used most on holiday, when I wanted reach it was always more than 100mm so I wouldnt carry the 45-200, the 100-300 is a better lens. I think the 12-35 will be something you use a lot in general street shooting over there, I wouldnt want to be carrying big cam bags while walking around India, nor fiddling with lenses etc too much out in the open.

10. RzzB

RzzB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of keeping the number of lenses down. I'm hoping I will be able to fit everything I need for street work in a bum bag. I'm not sure which lenses yet but I'm warming to the primes!

11. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    While I understand the want to take the best we have on holiday, I also use caution when going anywhere into Asia, in fact the GM1 lens would be something I could really use in places like India, on a GX1 it would be pocketable with good range, and an LVF2 is easy enough to carry if you really need the viewfinder. I have a GX1 body with the viewfinder and hardly use it as a pair as its annoying, its also not that much smaller than the GX7 which is my primary body now. I am considering clearing the GX1 and replacing it with the GM1 kit so I can use it as a super pocket cam, can use my primes with it in a tiny bag at night, and still have the GX7 as the allround viewfinder body.

I think the GM1 with the 20mm lens on it (or the new 15mm once its out) would be a great stealthy pocket cam for nights out at markets, restaurants etc, so much opportunity in Asia for interesting shots at night, street vendors etc. I reckon GM1 with a fast prime at night up to ISO6400 you cant go wrong!

• Like Like x 1
  12. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I think you should also consider the battery type. The different models may use different battery types/models. That will mean that you will have to carry multiple spares and multiple chargers. Two GX7s mean a single battery type/model and a single charger (unless you want to bring more than one charger along). Hope that makes sense.

• Like Like x 3
  13. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    This makes a lot of sense, I like the idea of charging two batteries at once especially if you are only returning to the hotel once or twice a day. I am getting a dual charger so that I can do three at a time, I would rather take a lens less than not have enough charged batteries but with m43 most of the stuff I use is so much smaller that I can carry it all with room to spare. A good low cost option to a spare body with viewfinder would be a G3 or G5, but if video is a possibility what about a GH2 with its multi aspect sensor?

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Get a used E-M5 - two great, viewfinder bodies, similar form factor, and the Oly has better IS (by all accounts). My 'perfect' backup body - short of something completely different - is usually exactly the same as my primary body; with Canon, I had a second 5DII for one of my major trips, as well as an LX3 (now RX100) as a pocket backup. As for what you carry, that depends on your shooting needs. My setup these days if there's a real chance of wildlife is body + fast standard zoom (12-35, 12-40) + ultrawide zoom and one fast prime to taste. You can always leave a few options at the hotel/in the safe (other upside to MFT's small side, all fits in the safe) when you're out and about shooting street. I found my ultrawide to be the perfect thing for close-quarters street shooting, combined with a fast prime for candid portraits (for you: 9-18 + 45/1.8).

For a trip like that, assuming some wildlife opportunities, I'd take:
    9-18
    12-35
    100-300
    45/1.8

I have and like the 14/2.5 in theory, and it's tiny, so usually gets dragged along 'just in case', but real world, I almost always prefer the larger zoom, and if I want really small I break out the RX100, which has a 28mm equivalent f/1.8 wideangle and actually fits in a pocket. I might pair the 14/2.5 with something like a GM-1, once it gets cheaper.

15. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    The GH2 is a good camera but I didn't like the colours coming out of it. I now have 2 G3s. I'm still using Panny as the price of both G3s was too cheap for me to turn them down. I recently travelled to Cambodia with both bodies and ended up charging 3 sometimes 4 batteries a day. My next trip will be coming up in a month (Kenya) and I'll be travelling with both G3s again. I'd love to have the EM1 but I'm too cheap to buy it at the current price. In the end, I think it doesn't matter which body you get as they all produce good quality pictures these days. You should choose the camera that feels right in your hands and one that feels light on your wallet (unless the depth of your wallet is limitless).

16. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    A friend has the EM5, I have been with pana bodies since the GF1. I have used his EM5, I picked up a s/h E-P3 to try out, and unless you have used Oly bodies and actually like the functionality I wouldnt waste my money on one. I looked at the E-P5 and couldnt stand holding it, sure its built like a tank but it would need to be as I was afraid of dropping it one handed in the shop!

I never had stabilisation in a film camera and never needed it, I learnt how to brace the camera and my body, I have shots taken at dusk with esposures of 2+ seconds that printed out sharp on 8x10 and even on A3 look really good.

Stabilisation is just another of those technologies that eventually dumbs us down, its happened in many fields, we end up becoming part replacers rather than repairers, we end up relying on the equipment to do everything for us rather than learning how to achieve it ourselves.

17. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I would advise to find a few lenses that you'll use for the day and keep the rest in the hotel. I went on a 10 day trip to Asia, bringing a E-M1, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, a 25, and a 45 all in a sling bag and while lighter than my old FF setup, still was a little heavy after carrying it around for 8+ hours a day. Probably didn't help that I had a 7 month old child strapped to my chest as well, but still.

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Sorry, but IS is a major, major improvement. A lot of my shooting was (and now again will be) unstabilised, and it works great. That you can get lucky and handhold 2" exposures occasionally is all well and good, but the IS is a major equalizer in terms of image quality - and benefits folks with good technique even more than those with sloppy technique. It lets you shoot at lower ISOs, closing the 'real world difference' gap with FF cameras significantly for some types of shooting.

19. RzzB

RzzB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    Many, many thanks to everyone who has posted to this thread. Really useful information and advice.

It was turbodieselvw's comments about batteries that made me sit up and think! Yes - batteries would double the pain if the backup body was different! I think I have decided to bite the bullet and go with another GX7 body - now just to get it passed by the "financial controller".

It's also made me think about batteries and chargers. I have yet to use the GX7 on an all day shoot - my first impressions are that the batteries run out pretty qickly! Remember I'm comparing with my Canon 5DIII - they seem to go on forever! So what would be the worst case scenario? I have four batteries for the GX7 - is that going to be enough for a long day in the field - sunrise to sunset and beyond? An how on earth do I recharge them overnight... four chargers?

The other thing that has been concerning me is SD card readers... I have had so many fail. Does anyone have any suggestions for a really reliable SD card reader. Preferably just SD - not a million other cards!

Thanks,
    Roy

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I would get one of the G series models, like G3/5/6. Nice big viewfinder and grip. You may find that GX7 ends up being the back up :smile: