Backup body - E-M5 vs E-PL7

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by PhotoDmiK, Dec 10, 2015.

1. swap E-M5 to E-PL7

3 vote(s)
  2. keep E-M5

8 vote(s)
  3. sell E-M5

1 vote(s)
  4. seek for other backup body

1 vote(s)
  1. PhotoDmiK

PhotoDmiK Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2015
    I had E-M5 for long time and got E-M5 mk II this year. Since last months old E-M5 sit as backup camera not longer leaving home.

Recently I got offer to swap E-M5 to E-PL7. Is it worth to make such deal? Keep in mind I use E-M5 mk II as main camera now.

Cons: can't share batteries.
    Pros: E-PL7 is lighter and have good chances to fit small bag for daily use.
  2. Engawa

Engawa Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2014
    I think it is worth it to make the deal because the E-M5 is no good if you don't use it.

Another option you could consider is selling the E-M5 and buying an E-P5 so that you can share batteries and also still have 5-axis stabilization.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    (not knowing what the value on a used E-PL7 is, I say) Go for the trade. The E-M5 is the same form factor as the E-M5 II, so if you are going to carry that body size and shape you are always going to opt for the "II". Where as the E-PL7 offers a smaller different form factor. Couple it with one of the tiny pancake or other compact primes and for those times when you want something more along the lines of a point & shoot that can (more) easily drop into a coat pocket.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PhotoDmiK

PhotoDmiK Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2015
    Note about battery cons - I have spare battery for both E-M5 and E-PM1 fullspectrum with spare battery. So its not real issue to seek for E-P5
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I think it's worth to have two different cameras for different situations. Unless you need a backup body in the stricter sense of the term I'd swap it.
    And you get a couple of new features too (peaking, wifi, etc.). Not ideal in strong light outdoor I suppose and you loose weather sealing.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have EM5 I/II. For me, having almost 2 same cameras is better for shooting, menu, batteries and control, but it's kind of boring. I'm thinking getting the Panasonic GM5 to carry everywhere or getting G7 play around with the new post focus and 4k.
  7. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    I'd say it depends on the price of the E-PL7; the E-M5 is still the better package overall in my opinion, but the E-PL7 is not to be sneezed at as it shares most of its innards with the E-M10. In use, it lacks the superior controls and the EVF, but otherwise, it's a fine camera with very good usability; what's more, it actually feels better in the hand than a gripless E-M10 (the E-M5 being very similar in this respect).

If you don't need the EVF and weather sealing, you'll be fine with the E-PL7, especially when coming from the E-PM1 - the E-PL7 handles worlds better than the latter.

All that said, I myself would hang on to the E-M5; it's the much more competent second body ...

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I have the EM5 II and EPL7 and they do complement each other nicely. The E-P5 is available for good prices, however, especially refurbed, and it has nicer controls and shares the battery with the EM5 II. I think the swap is fine, but selling the EM5 ad looking into the EP5 is an interesting idea. The only problem would be the current used value of an EM5 might be pretty low, $300 at best.
  9. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    EPL7 means different battery also it features already had on EM5 mark II.

Better keep mark I as second body or sells it for great glass. Invest on new camera body never been great investment.
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I can't live without a fixed viewfinder. The EPL would not be in consideration for me for that reason. If you can live without a viewfinder or find one of the add one viewfinders acceptable, then the swap might be worth it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. PhotoDmiK

PhotoDmiK Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2015
    In case I want EVF I'll take E-M5 mk II.
    I pay nothing for swap. Value for used E-M5 body here with current exchange rate is about $250
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As a true "backup" camera, the E-M5 makes more sense because it is so similar to your main camera. As a second "complementary" camera, the E-PL7 makes more sense because it offers a slightly different experience. Just depends what you think would be better for your usage.

Honestly, do you need a second camera? Will you use it? Do you really need a backup camera? Your smartest play may be to sell the E-M5 and pocket the cash.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. PhotoDmiK

PhotoDmiK Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2015
    mk I vs mk II are not very similar. Look at power switch - most used control after shutter release for example. So many options revealed to consider!
  14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Similar does not mean the exact same. The E-M5 is certainly more similar to the E-M5II than an E-PL7 will be.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    Both cameras are great, and having the same menu and sensor quality actually makes the camera usable as a back depending what a backup means to you. If its a cheaper body to keep "in case" when on location or traveling, or as a quick grab with a fast prime...even the pen is great. If you are relying on it to shoot with together as a two camera kit...i would keep them as similar as possible. You don't want to be switching control systems and having your hands get confused as you grab two camera button setups.

And as mentioned before, batteries. I would much rather have the same batteries between two cameras. That way the batteries act as a backup for each other, as does the charger. I don't want to be carrying multiple chargers with me.

I wasn't going to get an E-PL5 as a backup...but honestly only an E-M1 is going to work for me. So I'm waiting.
  16. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    My main is an E-M1, and I love having a Panasonic GM1 (still the smallest ILC in existence?) as a backup. Got me to explore the differences between the systems, menus, and lenses. Makes me wish Olympus had Panasonic's "pinpoint focus" feature, for example.
  17. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    I would recommend keeping the E-M5 as a backup. Weatherproofing, form factor, EVF, battery compatibility are all factors that are important IMHO.
    I just picked up a MK II and yes that is my primary now. On a side note, my wife now has a great camera in the E-M5. She is very happy with the "Hand me down" to say the least.
  18. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    I bought the E-PL7 mainly for taking with me on my bicycle rides. I found I like it so much I use it now for other shooting things as well. Recently, I bought the OMD-E10 as a back-up as it uses the same battery as my EPL-7. I cannot compare the EPL-7 to the EM-5 but can say as a smaller back-up it is very worthy. After setting the controls I use most often I find the camera very easy to shoot. As others have already mentioned, there is no EVF but I find that for more than 90 percent of my images I really did not need it; and, for those other 10 percent shots I do need an EVF I now have the OMD-10. If an EVF is important you might want to check out the OMD-E10 as it is priced very nicely right now. The controls are a little different than on my EPL-7 and it took me a little while to get accustomed to it. I thought that since both cameras were very similar set-up would be similar but there are enough differences it forced me to study the OMD-E10 a little more than I thought. While I have not used an external EVF for the EPL-7, others on this forum do and love it. I still might pick one up some day. Just depends...
  19. PhotoDmiK

PhotoDmiK Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2015
    Finally I just keep e-m5. I still use 12-50 from this kit and do not want break it.

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I'll keep them in mind for other swap possibilities.