Backup/alternate camera for E-P1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wildcat, Apr 17, 2011.

1. wildcat

wildcat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    Wondered if anyone might have thoughts on this...

I got a refurb E-P1 recently and am really enjoying it. I've got 6 pieces of legacy Rokkor glass as well as the Oly 14-42 and 40-150 that I've been using with it. Panasonic 20 will be coming if J&R ever gets it back in stock.

I've noticed that used G1's can be had for ~$220 these days. Thought it might be useful to pick one up as a backup/alternative to the E-P1 to use if I don't want to pack an external flash or (more likely) I'm likely to be in a situation where a viewfinder could be useful. Won't have image stabilization for the Olympus lenses, but I'm okay with that. Shoot primarily in RAW, so don't think the color difference should be a big deal for me either, correct?

Anybody else use this or a similar combo?
  2. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    I'd be more inclined to use the E-P1 as your back-up camera in those circumstances. Unless small size, good looks, or the need to shoot a lot indoors without flash are essential, the Panasonic is in my opinion a far better all-round camera and it has, as you know, an excellent electronic viewfinder. Bear in mind though that it won't have any kind of stabilisation in conjunction with the pancake lens (if you get one) and therefore you'd be well advised to leave that on your existing body. Your raw image results will tend to be similar, although the E-P1 can provide adequate performance at 800 ISO whereas the G1 will produce horrible noise beyond 400. Stick to 100 ISO with it if you possibly can.
    • Like Like x 1