1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Backpacks and The Olympus 300mm f4

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by wrxspdwgn, Apr 26, 2016.

1. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I'm looking for a backpack that.would be able to carry the 300mm Olympus lens mounted on a gripped OMD E-M1 with room for a second camera body a d additional lenses. I currently have a Think Tank Perception Pro which while a great bag wouldn't be the best for the job.

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Look at one of Fstop bags, I really love mine. You need one of the Pro ICUs to hold a gripped EM1.

3. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the reply. Are you sure the F-stop pro icus might not be too large for some of the micro 4/3 !enses? I've never seen any of the F-stop bags in person. I've just read good things about their bags in forums like this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I picked up an F-Stop Kenti backpack on clearance. It can take my EM1 w/50-200 SWD with MMF-3 and EC-14 easily. Let me know if you need measurements.

Here's some shots. #46

I was thinking about the Thinktank Trifecta 8 for this, but found the Kenti instead.

Some measurements:
    The compartment in the Kenti is about 12" long, but the side access opening is about 9.5" long. I put the camera in by sliding it in camera-end first and then tucking lens-end in. The 50-200 SWD w/EC-14 and MMF-3 mounted is about 8.5" long. The 300 f4 Pro is about 9" long.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Thanks! I think I'll have to check out the F-Stop webpage.

6. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I use a Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW that i´m very pleased with.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the reply!

8. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    I have a bunch of camera backpacks, dating back to the original Mini Trekker. Still have 2 Think Tanks, 2 other (expensive) Lowe Pros and a Tamarac. But I have found my Case Logic 206 is the best suited for M43. And it is the cheapest by far at about $80. However don't let the price fool you, they have significantly upgraded the construction, zippers and design on this backpack vs. the 1st Case Logic one I bought about 4 years ago (which was pretty much crap, especially the zippers). They now come with a 25 year warranty!

This backpack has a unique feature, a lens cradle that holds a camera and lens in suspension. My EM1 with RRS L bracket (always attached) and 12-40 fit, but not with the hood reversed. I finally just tore out the velcro parts dealing with the suspension system and just put the camera in the wider top part like most other backpacks. It easily holds my EM1 and 40-150 attached with hood. This pack holds a lot of lenses, I put the EM1 with 40-150 attached, EM5 MK II with HLD-6 grip and 17mm f 1/8 attached at the lower end of the center slot, plus 5 or 6 lenses vertically on the 2 side areas, including the Nocticron, 75mm F1.8 with metal hood attached, 60mm macro and 2 or 3 others, plus a FL-600R Flash. Although I don't have the Oly 300mm f/4 I am confident it will fit along with 40-150 as I have put my Nikon D800 with 70-200 f/2.8 attached and Nikon 300 mm f/4 in the side area slots. The Oly and Nikon 300mm f/4's are the same size.

There is a decent size front zippered pocket, 3/4 height side pocket, 2 interior pockets on the back side of the flap and a full width x height slot for a MacBook Pro 15" and other flat items on the back side. Also a tripod dual strap arrangement on 1 side too. Another nice item is locking velcro tabs that keep the main zipper from opening all the way. Mine is 2 years old now and used for lots of trips, including 3-1/2 months in Thailand last year and has held up very well, nothing has torn or broken. While it doesn't have waist straps, it not being tall enough to require them, the shoulder straps are pretty good and are comfortable. And the back side is vented and comfortable. My only negatives, no cross chest strap lock, though but this may be something you could add if felt necessary. And no exterior water bottle pouch.

Oh and while this is not a waterproof design, it has a very tough waterproof bottom shell that comes an inch up all sides. So you can set it in snow, mud or even puddles without worrying about the bottom getting wet. This hard shell bottom also means the backpack does not fall over when set upright. Very Cool!

I like it so much I am considering buying another new one just to put into the closet for use when this one finally wears out. Can't say that about any other camera bags or backpacks I own.

Case Logic 206 backpack0005.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Interesting about Case Logic and their warranty. I currently have three Think Tank bags,two Lowepro bags and a Tenba packlite. Two of the bags are sized for pro DSLRs and my micro 4/3 gear would flop around. The remaining bags: Think Tank Perception Pro, Think Tank Turnstyle 5, Lowepro Hatchback 16 and the Tenba won't carry my E-M1 with the 300 attached and secured. I've ordered a F-Stop Kenti. I'll have to see if it will work. I'm thinking it should if my Canon 1D and 70-200 mm lens fit.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  10. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I hope the Kenti works out for you. In my quick photo post, I was wrong about the dividers. They supplied two high dividers and four low ones. I found the compartments were quite deep for M43 stuff, so I'll have to play around with the dividers to keep them in place. Might need to scrounge a few more dividers. I usually don't carry a tripod around with me, so I didn't order the Gatekeeper straps with the pack. They're out of stock at the moment anyway. But, if I needed to carry a tripod, I'd have to figure out what strap arrangement will work best, whether to use the side straps (and block one of the side accesses) or centered on the back of the bag.

The shoulder straps have D-rings on them. I found this very handy to clip one of my OpTech straps to it and hang my EM1 w/50-200 SWD with an OpTech Lens Loop. Don't need a separate neck strap. You can see it hanging from the left shoulder strap here.

I forgot to bring a second strap, so had to hang my EM5 from my wrist strap while I took a drink from the hydration reservoir.

DSC_0561.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  12. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Why do you not have the waist belt buckles? You are not utilizing one of the best features of the Fstop bags. They ride like a true backpack, putting most of the weight on the hips. Best riding camera backpack I have ever used.

13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I did use them, just didn't have them done up when my friend took that shot. Might have been just after I took my EM5 out of the pack. I did find the bag to be very comfortable and to ride really well, waist strap or not. I think it would still be comfortable when fully loaded. I was very pleased with it on this short test hike.

I had a 2 liter hydration reservoir in it (testing it out for the first time too), but filled only half full. I read some reviewers who said that a full hydration reservoir in the hydration pocket made the backpack a little uncomfortable. It's because the somewhat stiffly padded camera compartment makes the hydration pocket press into your back when it's full.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  14. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    The way the bladder goes in the kenti is why I got the guru. Learned long ago to avoid packs where the bladder goes in like the kenti.

15. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Yeah, but it was a compromise I was willing to accept given that the Kenti had the kind of side access I wanted in a backpack and could accommodate the big Momma combo. Other packs, like the ThinkTank Trifecta 8, which I also considered, didn't have the features of the Kenti and no provision for a hydration reservoir. It's more of an urban backpack.

The Mindshift Ultralight looked good, but I think even the 25L would be a tight fit for the EM1/50-200/MMF-3/EC-14 combo yet have side access. If I relaxed the big Momma requirement, there would be a quite a few candidates.

The Kenti could fit all that I wanted, and was good for hiking. Plus, it was on sale. Too good to pass up. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    How long did it take for F-Stop to ship your Kenti to you? Just curious as I ordered on Wednesday and it is still "in processing".

17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Another F-Stop fan here.

even the small Pro ICU will go a long way to fitting long glass and a body, just check the dimensions on the site and pick what works. I have a small and a small shallow, with a Loka (fave pack) a Satori and a Guru on the way (clearance sale) for when I want something smaller. The Medium Shallow might work best for a mounted telephoto with extender.

I really like the rear access for pack for general use as well, and it makes access in the field pretty simple. Strap on the waist buckle, shrug out of the shoulder straps and rotate the bag to your side or front, letting it drop flat. Quick unzip and you have a clean platform for swapping lenses and/or bodies.

I just got back from 3 weeks in Indonesia, with the small ICU housing the A7r, 16-35, 55/1.8, a scuba housed RX100 and underwater strobe and the small shallow acting as a serviceable regulator bag. On previous trips I had the E-m1 in the small as well (no strobe and wet lenses elsewhere for the underwater setup), with the 50-200SWD, but not mounted. Fantastic flexible travel setup.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Mine took about two weeks, IIRC. Although the website said it'd ship by UPS, in fact, it was shipped by EMS from Hong Kong. Still got it in fine shape, but it took an email to F-Stop to get the tracking information so I could find out where the shipment was. I suspect they were shipping these clearance items from the Hong Kong factory/warehouse. So, if you don't the tracking info from your order page, try emailing them with the order number and ask for the shipping info. I was able to get EMS to send me tracking updates. Once it gets to the US, it goes through Customs at USPS and then gets delivered by USPS. At least mine was.

• Like Like x 1
  19. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the information.

20. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I was just contacted by F-Stop. My Kenti bag is on it's way. Now all I have to do is wait to hear from Olympus as to when my 300mm will be shipped. :)