1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Backpack suggestions?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ryanlogic, Aug 23, 2012.

1. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Want a camera backpack that has enough room for my OM-D, lenses and some basic gear.... But I also want something that will fit a change of GYM clothes, and a small laptop or an iPad and maybe a notebook for loose leaf paper.

I plan on carrying it around every day so it needs to be durable and look decent.

I like waxed canvas and leather, but I'd settle for something else so long as it had everything I needed.

I'm looking at the Domke backpacks because the price is right but I don't think they will fit a laptop or an iPad due to their split design.

Domke 702-02S F-2 Backpack (Sand)
    http://amzn.com/B001RNPD2E

Which leads me to these, I like the Tenba best by the looks of it.... But I'm not familiar with brands, and quality...so any advice/ suggestions would be nice.

Tenba 638-292 Messenger Photo Daypack (Olive)
    http://amzn.com/B002VJJKTK

Opteka Excursion Series C950 Full-Size Weatherproof Canvas Backpack for Photo and Video Cameras
    http://amzn.com/B004QIPVF6

2. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Check out Incase. They make bags and cases specifically for Apple products and they also have a line of bags for cameras (which accommodate MacBooks and Ipads in most). Their quality is pretty solid as far as I can tell from a regular backpack I own and a camera sling pack my friend has for his 7D (although not as ruggged as Domke and Thinktank). Also they are more stylish IMO than classic camera bags if you care (I do). They have sitewide sales sometimes so I would keep an eye out if youre not in a hurry to get one.

Camera by Incase

• Like Like x 2
  3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    For those kind of needs I think the split designs will work best for you. the bottom two you linked to both look very nice - a couple of other brands that might have something you'll like are Clik Elite and Crumpler - those would be on the higher end as well though. That Opteka looks like it would work really well.

4. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Does anyone have experience with Tenba bags?

5. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I'll check em out, thanks.

6. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    • Like Like x 1
  7. McShug

McShug Mu-43 Rookie

8. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Thing is, I ride a bike... And I'm thinking about getting a motorcycle so I think I want something with two straps. Otherwise, yea... It's on point style wise.

9. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I placed an order on lowepro compuday photo. it's a backpack with a laptop compartment, and has a collapsable compartment for camera that shares space with the main compartment. and it has a side mesh pocket for bottles or maybe a flash or something. the camera compartment opens on the side so it's easy to get to. I think it would be a perfect everyday bag and who knows, maybe i'll finally start bring my camera with me to work everyday.

oh and it's also on sale:

Lowepro CompuDay Photo 250 Digital SLR Camera Backpack LP362970AM - Black 056035362972 | eBay

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Might want to check out the Kata 3n1 series - they are a sling bag but actually have 2 straps - you can sling it over either shoulder and one gets hidden away...but you can used them both and it can then be worn as a backpack as well.

11. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I came here to post this. I carry it to work everyday - macbook air, ipad, omd em5 and plenty of room for most everything else.

Fitting gym clothes...not sure about that one. I do have a jacket in it but the jacket is more of a thin runners type of jacket that can be folded to hell and back.

But as far as everything else - it's surprisingly a good bag.

12. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
  13. Stewmander

Stewmander Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Check out DAKINE. I have several backpack/hydration packs from DAKINE and they make great products. They also have amazing customer service when I needed some help with my hydration bladder.

I purchased the DAKINE 101:
    Dakine 101 Pack Laptop Backpack,Fremont: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

and its a great backpack - it has two main zipper compartments, one can be used for camera gear the other for gym clothes, and a really nice side slot for lap tops. Its not a photo specific backpack tho.

The other backapack I want to get is the DAKINE MISSION PHOTO:
    DAKINE Mission Photo Backpack - 1500cu in Black 1,One Size: Amazon.com: Clothing

This is a photo specific backpack, and it has a removable block that you can easily access and even convert your photo backpack into a regular backpack. I do not know if this backpack will be good for also carrying lap tops and I do not know how much room is available to gym clothes when the photo block is installed. Some ideas to consider, but I highly recommend DAKINE as a company if they make a product that fits your needs.

14. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    Great, can't wait for it to get here. it pretty much check off all on my checklist: looks like a regular backpack, a place for camera, a place for laptop, and a place for bottle.

15. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I looked at the DAKINE photo bags, but I don't like how it's a bag within a bag... And I dislike that the main bag without the photo insert is just a big empty compartment.

I think I need to go with something with a photo compartment, a main storage area, and a laptop sleeve behind the back pad like the Tenba.

16. Rawdog

Rawdog New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2012
    I have owned the Tenba Shootout Medium bag for the past 9 months. Since then, it has carried my Macbook Pro 15, entire Canon kit (60D, 70-200 2.8 II, 10-22, 100 Macro and 50), plus all of my small electronics/accessories/clothes all over the world safely. The quality of their bags is great. Well constructed and designed, although this can add to the overall weight of the bag.

I've been so content with the backpack that I'm likely to purchase one of their Messenger bags for my new M43 system.

Good luck

17. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    What about this one
    ZKIN - Collections :: Yeti

I think all 3 colors look great and doesn't look like a camera bag at all.
    Water resistant and some pics also shot it can fit a laptop.

I don't personally own this so I don't know the details about it. I do own their other bag and the quality is top notch.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    This is in fact exactly what I'm looking for style and function wise... but I can't find a price or a US distributor!!!!

anyone know where to get these?

19. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Looks like its about 300 USD in Hong Kong. :/ a little pricey, and when you consider shipping costs its probably of my league.

20. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    • Like Like x 1