Backpack recommendation for a G3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by azngigolo64, Mar 25, 2012.

1. azngigolo64

azngigolo64 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Can anyone recommend a backpack for a G3? I am not carrying a whole lot of gear but I just prefer backpacks over other types of bags...
  2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
  3. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Sometimes only a backpack will do, and I like those DSLR/Backpack combos with the laptop sleeve. I also travel with a netbook or tiny laptop with the G3.

For the G3 I haven't been able to find anything yet that's suitable. I value "small" like most of us here so I put the G3 into Tamrac Aero 36 bag with my lenses and then put that into my normal hiking backpack.

I've done 4 flights with this package so far no complaints at all. It's not easy to get to the camera quickly since it's layered in there but, that's not the goal. Backpacks and Micro-4/3 are sort of at odds here, the gear is smallish and the backpack is cavernous.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What kind of lenses and accessories will you be carrying with that G3?

I really like the Kata 3N1. It comes in 3 different sizes, the 3N1-10, 3N1-20, and 3N1-30. The 30 has a laptop compartment as well.

They have convenient back, side, and top openings, and a detachable arm strap system which allows you to use it as a regular backpack, a cross-sling backpack, or a single-strap sling pack. In the cross-sling position, you have even more comfort and security as a backpack, plus you can release one of the arms at any time to sling the pack forward like a sling bag. Mind you, I just use it as a regular backpack myself...

3N1-20 For DSLR W/mid-range Zoom Lens+ 3-4 Lenses+flash KT D-3N1-20 - DPS | Kata Bags

The other day I was meeting with some fellow photographers at a local pub, both shooting Nikon DSLRs. One had the Kata 3N1-20 (which I also use) and another had the Kata 3N1-30 for a more extensive kit. I was there with my little compact camera pouch. lol, I love Micro Four-Thirds, and the variety of options it allows! I still use my Kata for a more extensive kit with heavier lenses and lights, but any kit I bring is so much lighter now.
  5. azngigolo64

azngigolo64 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Thanks for the recommendations. I will go check out the kata 3N1-10. I will be using it to carry the G3 and 2 legacy lens (hexanon 28mm 3.5 + one of the 50mm lens either canon fl 1.4, mir, or helios). Also carry some water + snacks with the other compartments.
  6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Always Used Backpacks With My DSLRs But ...

... I went with a belt and harness system with my m4/3 gear. Thinktank. I really like it. Everything is at the ready without having to stop and take off the backpack. You can still wear a smallish backpack along with it for other things.

When I travel I put the whole thing in my old shoulder bag.
  7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The 3n1 is very large. Consider a smaller backpack like the dr series, like the 465i or 466i. Look at those photos, the 3n1 eats up that full frame slr kit like it were a child's toy!