1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Backing Away from M4/3s?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Dave Jenkins, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Having begun investing in the micro 4/3s system in 2010 and now owning an E-PL1, two OMD-EM-5s and three lenses, I feel I have given the format a good go. I was looking for smaller and lighter, and m4/3s does indeed deliver small and light. It also delivers image quality that is more than sufficient for most professional applications. I took only the Oly kit to El Salvador last summer for a week's assignment to document mission work and the photos are just fine. Also, the Olys have the most accurate exposure metering I've ever seen except for a little Canon AF35ML that I bought for my wife back in the '80s. With the Olys, I can actually shoot jpeg-only with few worries. By comparison, the meter of my Canon 6D varies all over the lot.

However: I very much prefer the OVF of my 6D to the EFVs of the Olys, good as they are. And I hate, hate, hate the short battery life, even with OEM batteries. I have the Oly menus set up to pretty much do what I want without much fuss and bother, but it took a long time to get to that point. And I'm never totally sure, when I bring the camera up to my eye, that it will be ready to shoot. The Canon always is.

In short: My Olys are not yet up for sale, but I'm moving more and more to the 6D. I deal with the weight issue by, first of all, getting a 6D, and second, by moving to smaller, lighter lenses. I currently have the 24mm f2.8, the 40mm f2.8, the 50mm f2.5 macro, the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 (a light and vastly underrated lens) and the 70-210mm f3.5-4.5. I'm in the market for the 135mm f2.8, and when I get it, may carry only primes. For a quick and light out-the-door kit, the 6D with the 24-85 and 70-210, plus maybe the 40mm f2.8, while certainly not as light as my m4/3s setup, is still very good.

• Like Like x 2
  2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Nicely said Dave.

Over the years I had my 7D (and 20d) before that, I found those cameras just as likely to be in the wrong mode as my Olympus when brought to the eye. Usually it was an incorrect ISO for the surroundings or having it set in some way to record colours askew.

Canon primes are not light, but they are lovely.

I myself won't be leaving m43 any time soon. I really like the output and how much I can stretch the RAW files compared to my Canon files.

Having lived in and around Valdosta, Zebulon, Waycross, and Atlanta at one time, I was intrigued by your newest book!

All the best...

• Like Like x 1
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Do whatever works for you (listen to your heart, not others...) & BE HAPPY!

• Like Like x 3
  4. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Good luck with what ever you decide to do, after all, it is you who needs to be content. Personally, for me, DSLRs are a no no, never cared for OVFs either. Now that the FF Sony A7r is here, that would be "my" next step, but I love the EM-1.

5. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    In the end, you've got to use what's most comfortable for you. These systems are just tools to get to what you envision for your particular project/needs.

6. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Very sound reasoning indeed.

I never could afford DSLRs nor their lenses. I made do with Panasonic bridge cameras until the GF1 hit a low enough price, bought a couple of m43 adapters and use it with legacy glass. My GF5 came along and I couldn't say no to the price I paid (£100 with the 14-42mm). Sure, I'd love a GX1 or (oh my) a GX7 but we cut our cloth to suit our pockets. I can think of nothing nicer than to have the same DSLR/m43 dilemma!

7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Wow what a collection. Hmm why don't you just keep 1 E-M5 with 1 or 2 good lenses? Just in case you will miss M43 system =)

I see it happens with some people who move from M43 for a while then back again.

8. pen2omd

pen2omd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    California
    Have you looked at other mirrorless camera system?

Maybe you should try the Sony A7(r). Metabones has a fully connected adapter for Canon lenses that let you control aperture, OIS, and focusing albeit slowly. I can vouch for it as I use it with a canon lenses I bought on EBAY not realizing that the focus was by wire fot that lens... It work perfectly on the A7r.
    I mostly use the A7r with OM-Zuiko lenses, manual focusing only. The camera is ligth and the JPEG great (I shoot jpeg only on the A7r). The ergonomics are different (from an Olympus m4/3) but switching back and forth is not a problem thanks to a almost infinite way to customized the access to most of the features.

You might get what you are looking for in a 6D (I assume here sensor related performance) with a weight and compactness of a m4/3 camera. Moreover Zeiss is an amazing lenses maker which at the end of the day is what matter. The best digital camera is and always will be the next one made while when it come to lenses some old to ancient lenses still deliver in the digital era.

And one last thing, try your E-M5 with the new VF-4 EVF, the difference with the native one on the E-M5 is nigths and days. With the VF-4 I don't need focus peaking to focus manual lenses anymore. Just magnify and voila! Definitively worth the try you might be surprised.

9. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

I haven't sold anything yet and the jury is still out. Right now, I'm just kicking ideas around. Thanks, all, for your input.

10. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    You might consider trying the newer EVFs -- they have twice the resolution as the E-M5, so it might be more like the OVF you prefer. Though it would look a little silly to add a VF4 on top of the E-M5's hump. :) But it could give you an idea if selling your existing cameras and buying a newer body would help.

11. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    The suggestion about the Olympus viewfinder is a great one - if the view finder is your biggest bug bear, you might also consider the E-M1, XT1 and A7 line which are all using newer generation viewfinders with far superior quality, and, while they are not OVF, I personally don't find the E-M1 to lag or to make me aware that I am shooting with an EVF instead of an OVF. It just doesn't get in the way at least in the same way as older generation EVF's may have. Give it a try, you might be surprised.

BTW your book on the backroads of Georgia is a really great idea - the very best of luck with it :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I'm looking at potentially going the other way. I won't give up my 5DII because I love the files I get paired with the 200mm for shooting cyclocross and 50mm, 85mm and 200mm for portraits and theatre events. Even with an all prime kit that cuts down on weight, it's still bigger and heavier than I'd like.

However, something like an E-M5 or E-M10 with a set if f1.8 primes (25mm, 45mm, 75mm) with fast eye-detect AF seems pretty attractive as a secondary system for casual shooting, travel or family photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Hi, I'm also looking over my shoulder to something else. m43 is fantastic, it brought me back to photography (as much as I can aside my job). However I miss SLR like body, OVF and simplicity of usage like old film SLRs.

Now I'm looking for Fuji X-T1, for following reasons:
    - dials on top of the body
    - no scene modes adding distraction to user interface and usage
    - on the specs EVF could be like OVF experience, remains to be validated
    - nice, retro look, and size of OM-D bodies
    - bonus: weather sealing

Now if just AF will be acceptable in precision and speed, I'm sold.

However, I'm not getting rid of my m43 investment. I just encourage my better half and kids to use them so that I can come back anytime :)

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I don't think the X-T1 will fix the EVF experience. It's still an EVF, and about the same size as the E-M1. Scene modes are not intrusive, so don't get that argument. If you like the dials and prefer that type of interface over a twin dynamic dial system (the OM-Ds) I'd say go for it, but I suspect it won't be as drastically different as you think.

Re: A7r as a replacement for an Om-D or 6D - the battery life is equally terrible, it's a slow camera to start up, and the AF with canon lenses is a joke (even the natives are just adequate, with performance lagging in lower light). Good if you want great quality and to take your time shooting; but the E-M1 is the more week rounded and faster camera.

15. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Chicago
    Before getting E-M5, I was considering A77 or A99 (from A33) and the small size and weight of E-M5 & lenses (even compared to the A33 I had) was not difficult to notice. Any shortcomings of battery life, EVF, control layout and menu I had already gone thru with Sony stuff. Seems that goes with the smaller territory. If I'd gone the other way, I'd probably be complaining of the size & weight and some other annoying bit.

16. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    While I share your criticism regarding the OM-Ds' mode dial (ART,SCN), I don't see the argument, when it comes to the digital interface. Olympus lets you switch off modes in the menu. I have mine set up, so that only Monotone, Natural, Vivid, and Mute will show. No art filters, or scene crap
    Also,the X-T1 doesn't even have direct access to to PASM-mode. Instead, there's a dedicated "sweep panoramic" setting on its mode dial :wink: Apparently, one has to dial in "ADV." to access PASM.

17. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Yes, you are right on that. I've switched off all scenes/art filters I don't want to use. However I prefer that I can see by looking the camera what are the settings before lifting it up on front of my face. But this is something one needs to get hands on before you can make up your mind. Difference might not be that big in the end.

EVF-4 with E-P5 is already quite good. This is also something that needs to be verified how Fuji's would actually be compared to Olympus. E-M1, I've understood is quite similar to EVF-4 with E-P5. However the lag is remarkably shorter, at least in specs. Will to be seen how it is in real life.

18. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    The Fuji cameras access their various PSA modes by setting either the aperture on the lens or the shutter speed dial (or both) to A. Its not a single dial, but its definitely direct access.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Yes, that's what I've understood also. But now we are hijacking this thread, sorry about that :)

20. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Yeah, I know, but do all X-mount lenses have an aperture ring? Anyway, not here to talk the X-System down, I'm seriously considering an X-T1 myself with 35, and 56 instead of my E-M5 with 25, and 45 combo if AFs speed is finally at OM-D levels.