1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Backdrops and Stands Help Please?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Droogie, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I'm shooting a lot of items lately (clothing on mannequins) for my wife's ETSY shop and want to purchase a backdrop and stand set. Right now I have a large white Muslin sheet pinned to my kitchen wall. It's time to get a backdrop set and I was wondering if anyone had experience or could point me to a decent kit.

I'm looking at the Cowboy brand setup on Amazon and also have looked at this set:

Amazon.com: Two Prism 10x20', 100% Cotton Muslin Backdrops and The Ravelli Full Size 10x12' Background Stand Set: Camera & Photo

Anyone have some input?

2. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Get one with interchangeable paper. Vary the backdrop color to support the look of the clothing fabrics. Savage brand at B&H is popular. You can also add backdrop cloth over boxes to support accessories next to the mannequin.

I have a roll kit like that but started using a Westcott X-drop, good if you have sufficient depth to where you are shooting. It is simple to breakdown in order to reclaim the entire room for regular household use. It's a free-stander and it gives rise to placing lights behind or overhead to rim light mannequin shoulders. You can get interchangeable fabric fronts for it.

Terry White's blog shows how it looks further down this page.

http://terrywhite.com/tag/westcott/

Westcott's site:
    http://fjwestcott.com/product-category/photo-basics/photo-basics-backdrops/x-drop-backdrops/

3. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Thanks for the links. Look like great products and love the blog. The X-drop is interesting. I'm also looking into the paper rolls now. Man, I thought finding the right camera bag was tough . . . :)