Back yard Hawk (I think)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by jamgam, Jan 8, 2014.

1. jamgam

jamgam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Jamie
    I don't do birds but this guy was in the back yard last week. Shot with my EM1 and Olympus 40-150. Dreary day so shot at ISO 800 so I could get some decent shutter speed at F8-F11 range. Not as sharp as I'd hoped and a more noise than I wanted at ISO 800 but it's probably a behind the camera problem and not camera issue :biggrin:

This guy let me walk right up to him, VERY CLOSE, within a few feet

Shot at 150mm f/8 1/200

Image can be clicked for full size
    P1040023-L.

• Like Like x 3
  2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    Nice shot! If I were you, I would use f/5.6 at 150mm to get better IQ.

3. jamgam

jamgam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Jamie
    I didn't think the lens would be sharp wide open at 150mm. I'll give it a try next time

4. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    I used to have this lens and it is sharper at f/5.6 at 150mm. But according to photozone, f/8 is sharper at 150mm.

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Whatever it is , it's a juvenile.

6. jamgam

jamgam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Jamie
    Might have been but it was a massive bird. I was kinda worried b/c it was scoping my 12 lb dog. lol

7. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    The young birds that are flying often are heavier than their parents. I took this of two White Throated Magpie Jays in Nicaragua. The older bird looks like she'd worked herself to the bone for the rather fat and sassy juvenile. 10481385346_79f3d90f3a_c.

8. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

Hard to tell without a size reference, but I would call that a Merlin, a type of falcon. It looks big there because it is fluffing out its feathers. They often hunt around bird feeders in back yards.

Rachel

9. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    It's a Red Shouldered Hawk, looks like a adult too.

10. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

Red Shoulder Hawks have darker wings with more distinct black and white banding.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It is a juvenile red tail hawk.

12. stw

stw Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    That's my guess as well. Nice pic!

13. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    No, not a Red-tail either. The barring is in the wrong part of the body, it should be a belly band, this is all the way in the chest.

I'm leaning towards a Broadwing hawk assuming this was taken in the Atlanta area.

14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It is a second year red tailed. We have several in the area. Take a look at Sibley's.

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We have a pair of Cooper's in our backyard today. They got one prey item but they have been spending most of their time collecting twigs for a nest.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/dornblaser/13471594243/player/" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

16. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We have a pair of Cooper's in our backyard today. They got one prey item but they have been spending most of their time collecting twigs for a nest.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/dornblaser/13471594243/player/" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

17. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I did, and the most noticeable thing is the lack of a belly band, them the barring in the chest.

I've seen hundreds of red tails (participated in a hawk watch for years), never one like this.

Get me a picture of one of your resident RT's with no belly band and barring in the chest.

18. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    One of the reasons I "jumped" on this lens when B&H had it for $119 (on sale) was I had seen it described as "insanely" sharp. I'm glad I have it and have used it at the 150mm end wide open.

Not disappointed!

Great lens even for the normal price of $199.

19. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

Hmm, pulled my Sibley's out and looked at some of the pictures I have of a merlin I worked with at a Nature Center 3 years ago, and I think I'll change my vote to a juvenile Red Shoulder Hawk. I didn't realize they were quite a bit lighter on the East coast. I've only seen a few in California. It is close to a juvenile Broad-winged Hawk, but they are supposed to have fewer markings on their wings.

This is why I'm not an ornithologist! I'll stick to my fish and mammals! :D

20. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Going back to the poor IQ (no offense, I have the 40-150 too), I'm guessing you had stabilization on? You have an EM-1 with 5-axis so I'm not sure but I do know that I couldn't get anything sharp out of my 40-150 at the far end either, and I'm assuming it was the PM2's IS ruining those shots. Can't say for sure as it's been winter for like 4 years now and I haven't had a chance to take her out again :(

Thanks for the sharper at f5.6 tip. Will give it a try!