Back yard Hawk (I think)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by jamgam, Jan 8, 2014.

1. jamgam

jamgam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Jamie
    I don't do birds but this guy was in the back yard last week. Shot with my EM1 and Olympus 40-150. Dreary day so shot at ISO 800 so I could get some decent shutter speed at F8-F11 range. Not as sharp as I'd hoped and a more noise than I wanted at ISO 800 but it's probably a behind the camera problem and not camera issue :biggrin:

This guy let me walk right up to him, VERY CLOSE, within a few feet

Shot at 150mm f/8 1/200

Image can be clicked for full size
    P1040023-L.

• Like Like x 3
  2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    Nice shot! If I were you, I would use f/5.6 at 150mm to get better IQ.

3. jamgam

jamgam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Jamie
    I didn't think the lens would be sharp wide open at 150mm. I'll give it a try next time

4. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    I used to have this lens and it is sharper at f/5.6 at 150mm. But according to photozone, f/8 is sharper at 150mm.

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Whatever it is , it's a juvenile.

6. jamgam

jamgam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Jamie
    Might have been but it was a massive bird. I was kinda worried b/c it was scoping my 12 lb dog. lol

7. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    The young birds that are flying often are heavier than their parents. I took this of two White Throated Magpie Jays in Nicaragua. The older bird looks like she'd worked herself to the bone for the rather fat and sassy juvenile. 10481385346_79f3d90f3a_c.

8. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

Hard to tell without a size reference, but I would call that a Merlin, a type of falcon. It looks big there because it is fluffing out its feathers. They often hunt around bird feeders in back yards.

Rachel

9. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    It's a Red Shouldered Hawk, looks like a adult too.

10. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

Red Shoulder Hawks have darker wings with more distinct black and white banding.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It is a juvenile red tail hawk.

12. stw

stw Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    That's my guess as well. Nice pic!

13. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    No, not a Red-tail either. The barring is in the wrong part of the body, it should be a belly band, this is all the way in the chest.

I'm leaning towards a Broadwing hawk assuming this was taken in the Atlanta area.

14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It is a second year red tailed. We have several in the area. Take a look at Sibley's.

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We have a pair of Cooper's in our backyard today. They got one prey item but they have been spending most of their time collecting twigs for a nest.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/dornblaser/13471594243/player/" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

16. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We have a pair of Cooper's in our backyard today. They got one prey item but they have been spending most of their time collecting twigs for a nest.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/dornblaser/13471594243/player/" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

17. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I did, and the most noticeable thing is the lack of a belly band, them the barring in the chest.

I've seen hundreds of red tails (participated in a hawk watch for years), never one like this.

Get me a picture of one of your resident RT's with no belly band and barring in the chest.

18. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    One of the reasons I "jumped" on this lens when B&H had it for $119 (on sale) was I had seen it described as "insanely" sharp. I'm glad I have it and have used it at the 150mm end wide open.

Not disappointed!

Great lens even for the normal price of $199.

19. rgugler

rgugler Mu-43 Regular

Hmm, pulled my Sibley's out and looked at some of the pictures I have of a merlin I worked with at a Nature Center 3 years ago, and I think I'll change my vote to a juvenile Red Shoulder Hawk. I didn't realize they were quite a bit lighter on the East coast. I've only seen a few in California. It is close to a juvenile Broad-winged Hawk, but they are supposed to have fewer markings on their wings.

This is why I'm not an ornithologist! I'll stick to my fish and mammals! :D 

20. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Going back to the poor IQ (no offense, I have the 40-150 too), I'm guessing you had stabilization on? You have an EM-1 with 5-axis so I'm not sure but I do know that I couldn't get anything sharp out of my 40-150 at the far end either, and I'm assuming it was the PM2's IS ruining those shots. Can't say for sure as it's been winter for like 4 years now and I haven't had a chance to take her out again :( 

Thanks for the sharper at f5.6 tip. Will give it a try!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.