Back with Olympus, after years

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
And more white on her neck and feet, which neither of my two cats have. Is there a cat thread on the forum?......
:hmmm: Seriously? Is there really a photo forum without a cat thread? :hmmm: @LilSebastian beat me too it.
.......This one was taken with E-PL8 and 12-32 - the lowcost pocketable combo that convinced me to go back to Olympus:
While I currently prefer the Pan 14mm with my Pen F for my smallest kit, the Pan 12-32 is a wonderful little lens. I've owned 4-5 copies with various bodies. Is yours a plastic or metal mount? If you get a chance pick up the auto cap for the Oly 14-42 EZ, it works great on the Pan 12-32.

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Hi, everyone, new member here,
Back in the film days the OM-4 was my favourite camera, even when AF systems became the norm. But as I decided to go digital (around 2006) I looked at what Olympus offered then as entry-level - the E300, and wasn't impressed. The thing was, let's say, unconventionally beautiful, and the viewfinder little more than a keyhole. So I went with another DSLR system. But recently, I noticed that I enjoy my photography less and less, and the big camera with its heavy lenses often stayed home. Briefly I considered a 1" compact, but that still wasn't it. When I saw an offer for a little used E-PL8 (with the Panny 12-32 pancake zoom) at a ridiculously low price, I jumped in. And that was it - I loved the feel of this pocketable combo, and took it everywhere with me. The only thing missing was a viewfinder. So, few weeks later, here I am with a new (actually refurb demo unit) E-M5 III kit. And I feel like taking a camera with me everywhere I go again. I forgot how enjoyable these little gems were, compared to the big cameras. So, yeah, I sold my DSLR gear and jumped into a system everyone says is dying. And couldn't be happier. And this family portrait shows why.
View attachment 878471
Welcome (back) @pgolik .

I bought an E-PM2 recently. It's so small you don't realise it's there. This morning, it was so small that I didn't realise that I had forgotten to take it with me ... :doh: :whistling: :rolleyes: .

Seriously though, who needs better DoF "control" than this?

_5124495_Ew.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Taken with my FTs f/2 50 macro wide open.

pgolik

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Paweł
:hmmm: Seriously? Is there really a photo forum without a cat thread? :hmmm:
Ah, in "Nature". I'd look under "Religion" :)

Is yours a plastic or metal mount? If you get a chance pick up the auto cap for the Oly 14-42 EZ, it works great on the Pan 12-32.
It's metal. No vignetting with the auto cap (it's the LC 37C, right)?

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
A most sensible policy. But even cat worship ;-) I'll look into the auto caps for 12-32, I could get Oly LC37C locally, for the JJC it would be the slow boat from China.
:flowers_2:

Even Roger Cicala uses his cats for the finest test targets ... :rofl: . Whiskers, fur and iris detail are fantastic for separating lenses in the real world. Easier to find than puffins ...

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
Oddly, the only Canon camera I ever really felt at home with was the T90. The EOS cameras never handled quite the same.

Oooh, you're right! The T90 was quite a different beast, and I remember using one several times and being surprised it felt 'normal' to me. Probably a classic - except overtaken by the EOS / autofocus switch only a year later.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Nice cat shots !

Cliche cat shots aside, this thread is once again testament to the fact that m43 exceeds the quality threshold that most amateur photographers need. Sure, if you view your cat photos at 100% scaling on a computer monitor then you'll see lower noise and better resolution if you'd used a Nikon Z7 - but so what? Real people seldom print anything bigger than 16x20 and m43 is in no way compromised for that. And of course, photography is as much about the process of taking pictures and it's absolutely true that big FF systems get left in the drawer too often simply because of their size and weight. There is definitely a market for m43 - and Olympus isn't dead yet!

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
......It's metal. No vignetting with the auto cap (it's the LC 37C, right)?
If the mount is tight just rub a finger over your forehead and transfer the oil to the body lens mount. Most issues people have with the 12-32 seem to be related to a tight lens mount. The plastic mount does not have the issue.
....My 14-42 EZ has a metal mount.
There is no vignetting with the JJC auto-opening cap. An absolutely fantastic piece of kit.
No idea if the Oly 14-42 EZ comes in a plastic mount, I've never owned one. I REALLY NOT A FAN of power zoom lenses.

A most sensible policy. But even cat worship ;-) I'll look into the auto caps for 12-32, I could get Oly LC37C locally, for the JJC it would be the slow boat from China.
I tried the JJC one one, it seemed fine, but the opening closing action was not as smooth as the Oly version.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
No idea if the Oly 14-42 EZ comes in a plastic mount, I've never owned one. I REALLY NOT A FAN of power zoom lenses.

Not that I know of.

If I understand correctly, Panasonic cameras do not have a LENS RESET functionality. With this set on an Olympus camera, both focus distance and zoom FL are preserved after power cycling. This function makes power zoom far more usable. AFAIK, the 14-42 EZ is the only Olympus lens that has only power zoom functionality.

I don't love it, but it doesn't really bother me either, after resetting the default action of the LENS RESET ...

I tried the JJC one one, it seemed fine, but the opening closing action was not as smooth as the Oly version.

I cannot speak for the highly expensive Olympus auto-opening cap, as I've never even seen one.
However, it's hard to be smoother than smooth ...

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
..... AFAIK, the 14-42 EZ is the only Olympus lens that has only power zoom functionality.

I don't love it, but it doesn't really bother me either, after resetting the default action of the LENS RESET ...

I cannot speak for the highly expensive Olympus auto-opening cap, as I've never even seen one.
However, it's hard to be smoother than smooth ...
Olympus also has the 12-50 EZ. It has a power zoom and manual zoom option. I know at least the Panasonic GX85 also had the option, they called it Zoom Resume.

As to the cap, I've owned 4-5 of the Olympus caps and one of the JJC caps. The JJC was returned because it stuck.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Olympus also has the 12-50 EZ. It has a power zoom and manual zoom option. I know at least the Panasonic GX85 also had the option, they called it Zoom Resume.

As to the cap, I've owned 4-5 of the Olympus caps and one of the JJC caps. The JJC was returned because it stuck.
David, I also own the 12-50 macro. Lives on my E-M1 MkI. I use the manual zoom mechanism on this lens.

I can live with the power zoom on the 14-42 EZ. That doesn't mean that I like it very much.

The electronic zoom is smoother for video, but again, it's marginal.

Nice to know that the GX85 has the lens resume feature. Does it also return to the focus distance? Do you know if any other Panasonic cameras have this feature? Just that someone here said they didn't, which seemed a little odd to me at the time.

My JJC cap works perfectly.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I'm not sure about other Panasonic bodies, I just remember my GX85 did so I double check the manual. The manual says
Zoom Resume -- When you turn this unit on, the zoom positions when you last turned this unit off are automatically restored

Since I no longer have the GX85 I can't confirm about the focal distance.

pgolik

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Paweł
If the mount is tight just rub a finger over your forehead and transfer the oil to the body lens mount. Most issues people have with the 12-32 seem to be related to a tight lens mount. The plastic mount does not have the issue.
Mine doesn't feel too tight, in fact the 12-45 seems tighter, due to the weather sealing, most likely.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
Welcome! My wife and I started with the OM-1, still have one, and we are really please with our current kit. We are looking forward to the day when we can once again use if for travel.

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
The Pen Lite series (E-PL7) was the "gateway drug" to the Olympus system for me as well. I saw an offer on the camera I could not pass up just as the model was being discontinued. (By the way, you can get an add on EVF for the Pen Lite series starting at around $100, depending on how much resolution you want or need.) I have always liked Olympus cameras and still own a few point and shoot Olympus film cameras. I shot Canon and then Nikon film SLRs but it never worked out for me to shoot with Olympus film SLRs. I am very happy with the size, weight, and handling of my Olympus digital cameras and have since added an EM10iii and an EM5iii to the fold. I am thrilled with the results as well; sensor size has never been an issue.

Last edited:

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
Oooh, you're right! The T90 was quite a different beast, and I remember using one several times and being surprised it felt 'normal' to me. Probably a classic - except overtaken by the EOS / autofocus switch only a year later.

I would agree. I shot Canon film cameras back in the day, including the FT, the A-1, AE-1P, and T-90. The T-90 was a little bit large and bulky but its great handling compensated for that a bit. The 4.5 frame per second built in motor drive was the fastest at the time. I enjoyed shooting with Canon FD cameras but never connected with the EOS series. I eventually ended up switching to Nikon FM2s and Olympus for digital.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom