1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Back-up/second camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jen726, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Jen726

Jen726 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Jen
    Hey guys,

Going on a trip in which changing lenses will not be smart (safari --> dusty). I'd like to have one really good prime, one mid-length zoom (35-100mm), and one super-zoom (100-300mm).

My boyfriend and I will each have one lens on our beloved OM-D's. Thinking of getting a third body to have the prime attached and ready to go (thinking the 14mm to get the landscape shots).

Would like to get opinions for small m4/3 camera that is still fast/good quality. Space is an issue on this one since it's taking up precious room that would otherwise be saved for lenses... Cost also an issue- mainly a back-up body so not looking for OM-D pricing here... Would prefer Oly over Panasonic for the in-body OIS but open to suggestions.

What do you think is best as a small, cheap and yet good extra body? (And yes, I know that trio is hard to obtain... all things being weighed, this one will just be for those "Damn!!! If I only had one more camera up and ready to go, I wouldn't have missed that shot!" moments. If I have time and it's a safe location, I'll still switch the lens onto the OM-D.

2. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    How small is 'small' because I expect you could buy a Panny G3 at a very attractive price right now (I'm assuming you like using the viewfinder on the OM-D) and if you use it with the prime lens won't need to worry about the OIS too much.

3. Jen726

Jen726 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Jen
    For the purposes of the extra, I don't care if there's an EVF (since that normally adds extra space). I would say something compact-sized (like the size of a point and shoot). I guess one could argue that I could just bring a small Canon P&S for those shots... which is also true and considerable... especially since strangers always balk when I ask them to take a picture for me with my m43 unless they're holding a DSLR.

Thoughts on this? Is it better to just bring a P&S for people pics (that strangers take) and for flexibility if I'm about to miss a good shot?

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    For a compact the rather brilliant RX100 Sony.

For a m4/3 and EPL5 and EPM3 have the same sensor as the EM5. One of those seems like the obvoius choice. For a really cheap m43 body I don't think you can go past the GX1.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    Good point in re the GX1 - they can be had for silly money over here if you do your homework.

6. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    I hate to be the one always pushing this, but for a tiny backup body, the GF3 or 5 is pretty amazing.

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Sure seems like a job for the E-PM2 or E-PL5. Or if you really want to save some bucks drop back a generation or more for older Oly bodies.

Jen, any chance of rain on your trip? May want to slide the 12-50 in to a sock or something just to make sure you can shoot in wet weather if that is a possibility.

8. Jen726

Jen726 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Jen
    Demiro- Thanks! Always a chance of rain so we're definitely bringing the 12-50mm. More likely the water will come from the mist of waterfalls (different part of trip). I'm also contemplating whether or not it makes sense to just bring a waterproof P&S to fulfill the stranger-picture-taking phenomenon, the small with zoom and the waterproof. Images won't be as good but when you're already getting wet, an OK image may be as good... and maybe protect the more expensive equipment too.

9. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    I have an epl-1 as my backup . I know u can get them pretty cheap as a refurb from cameta camera. Throw the p14 on their and u have a pocketable camera that can be used for those landscape as well as in car close ups. Then take whatever zooms u choose .

10. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    The epl-5 comes in handy for taking 'self/couples' portraits too, with its flip screen :)

And the GX-1 has a handy (tiltable) flash in the body... also that it'll work well with lens OIS of 35-100 and 100-300.

11. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    If dust is that much of an issue, I suggest you rent another OM-D and a sealed lens like the Oly 12-50 or Pany 12-35. The weather-sealing will be very handy.

12. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If you've got 2 OM-D's the only things that make sense are the E-PM2 or E-PL5. The all have the same sensor and processing so regardless if you shoot JPG or RAW everything will match between the 3 cameras. I have an OM-D, E-PL5 & E-PL2. The E-PL2 does not match the color, WB, dynamic range or noise of the other cameras JPG or RAW.

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    There are some excellent prices available on the E-P3. It's a great camera.

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You could also go the cheap route, like an E-PM1. Not quite disposable but at under $200 for a refurb body not a big investment, and they don't get any smaller. With the 14 it is a compact. If you want to spend $300 more, the E-PM2 is essentially the same size with the 16 mp sensor.

15. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I also a new OMD user adn just bought and received my 2nd body e-pm1, returned it within 24 hours, I was kind of disappoint on e-pm1's IQ, I originally came from Canon, I love the new OMD, but just can't accept the e-pm1, I think you should get newer sensor model.

16. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Maybe I'm the first and last to say it, but I'd just change the lenses on the spot. Surely you can find a time when it's not so dusty that you can't get it done? Besides which you have a pair of them and the sensor isn't that hard to clean.

If it's that important you can probably find one on the for-sale section and then sell it upon your return for around the same price. So it depends on your budget but I'd think the GF1,2 or 3 or the PL1.

17. dff

dff New to Mu-43

Dec 21, 2012
    In the last few months I have been in Botswana on safari, South Africa, Capital Reef, Escalante, Zion and the Mojave desert in the US. Changed lenses as needed without any problems on my OM-D. More importantly on safari is the timing. Events happen quickly. This is where a second body can be very useful. Sometimes the animals will be too close for the telephoto and a wider angle lens is needed. But this may be a split second decision, so the second camera needs to be very handy. Also in a time critical situation you can not afford to be fiddling wtih camera settings. If the second camera is not the same as the primary camera this could be a problem unless you are constantly using both. I have recently bought a epl-5 and yes it is very similar to the OM-D but not the same. I spent time getting comfortable with the epl-5 then went back to the OM-D for all of my photography. After a couple of weeks I picked up epl-5 and could not remember some of the settings I wanted to use (but I am old and forgetful). Summary - if quick response is important get another OM-D body, otherwise change lenses. I might also suggest that since both of you have cameras perhaps you could coordinate in such a way that you reduce the need for a third body.

I also enjoyed taking videos on the safari and find that I get as much enjoyment from them as a do from my still photos. Good luck on the trip. I am sure you will be amazed.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jen726

Jen726 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Jen
    Hi Dave- I appreciate the post! Your experience is very helpful! Can you tell me what focal length (roughly) was most used on your safari? I had been thinking of having the 35-100mm on one and the 100-300mm on the second body, but did want to attach the 14mm or 20 mm or something wide in case a wide shot is needed. I guess if most of the animals are reachable within 100mm, or most are farther and thus the wide won't be as useful, we can still make it happen with 2 bodies... Any thoughts on the most popular FL? :)

19. dff

dff New to Mu-43

Dec 21, 2012
    6109 images all oly lenses except the Pentax
    12mm - 136
    14-150mm - 291
    45mm - 187
    75-300 4924
    pentax camera 6-250 - 363
    movies - 208

of the 75-300
    2402 were at 300
    730 were at 75
    rest more or less evenly scattered

For the most part the non 75-300 images were used for non animal photos, landscapes, photos of the camp, sunsets etc. One morning we encountered a pride of lions that we still sleeping. They were too spread out for the 75-300 so I did a panorama that worked just fine.

Be prepared to be frustrated at times. The 75-300 is not the best for safari work. I was with full frame nikon and canon users with big lenses and 2x teleconverters and there were situations when I just could not match their results. But I returned with enough images to meet my needs. Also find time to put down the camera and just enjoy the experience of being there.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jen726

Jen726 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Jen
    I'm actually thinking the second back up camera should just be a P&S with good dynamic range. As a couple people have pointed out, it's cheaper than a lens and might be the most convenient. It would just be for back up purposes in case there's a shot I'm about to miss.

Any thoughts on what would be good? Maybe the Sony Rx100? Or I've heard good things about the Panasonic L5/L7?