1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Back Up For E-P3?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mike_B, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Mike_B

Mike_B Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    Mike
    Am looking for opinions from those with hands on experience with the models in question:

I have an E-P3 and would like to get an inexpensive back up body. My choices are the E-P2, E-PL2, or E-PL1. I've read the E-PL1 has very good picture quality due to the weak anti-alias filter. Does the E-PL2 have the same fiilter and picture quality? Or is it better to get the E-P2 due to the overall better build quality. The camera will be used for general picture taking....

2. bhemmis

bhemmis New to Mu-43

Apr 13, 2012
    Naples, FL & Cleveland, OH
    Brian Hemmis
    That's the combo I have E-P3 and E-PL1. I keep thinking about getting an OM-D and having the PL1 converted to IR if I can find a good deal on the conversion. I've been very happy with these cameras. Cameta Camera had the PL-1's new for $150 shipped a few months ago.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have the E-P3 and the E-PL2. The size and shape are similar which gives them the same feel in my hands. The controls are a bit different, but close enough. The IQ is very similar, in difficult lighting situations I simply use the E-P3. :cool:

4. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    My choice, based on experience would be epl2. Same sensor, possibly slightly better low light performance, very compact body. Nice camera and inexpensive now. Depends on whether you can deal with lack of rear dial. I find that the arrangement of epl2 for rear control is intuitive and functional if a little fiddly.

5. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Epl2 also has a lighter AA filter (but not as much as a Epl1 from what I remember) than the ep2, autofocus will be faster than the other two models, and will be more livable than the other two choices mentioned (good compromise with controls of the ep2 (good) and the epl1(bad))

Personally I use a gf1 as a backup to my ep3