Back to school Mac shopping in the States

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcasan, Jul 21, 2014.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Good ways to save on a Mac for school (or maybe photography):

Get an Education discount by proving you are a student of staff (or do home schooling). Details are at the Apple Store.

Shop with Apple or local stores on tax free weekend. The date and amount off of the sales tax various by state. Many states are doing the first weekend of August. Our state only allows $1000 to be fax free on a computer. Next door in SC there is no limit on computer cost.

Purchase online from major Mac retailers like MacMall, B&H, and Adorama. Watch for any of them that charge sales tax for your state. MacMall does charge for Georgia, so I have things shipped to my niece in South Carolina. I still save money allowing for the price of gasoline to go and retrieve the item.

Shop the Apple refurb shop...especially on tax free weekend.

Use the AppleInsider price list to find the best deal for your particular circumstances.

One of the best deals I saw today was a top of line 15" Retina Macbook (2.6GHz, 16GB, 1TB) with 3 years of AppleCare for $3049 at Adorama. That is $599 off list price for that combo and $300 less than at B&H. When you beat B&H that is signficant!

I hope you find a good deal for that back to school or photography computer.