1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Back to photography after a 30 year vacation

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Obfuscation, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Obfuscation

Obfuscation New to Mu-43

Hi,

In a former life I was an avid photographer. I lived and breathed every little detail of the art and the hobby, from the right camera strap, to small handling techniques, to improvised support devices....you get the idea, I had fixer running in my veins (remember fixer?). Then married life put some pressure to turn this amazing hobby to helping out with the bills, and I made the fateful decision to start photographing weddings.....for money.

Well I was good at it, and I made some money, but somewhere along the way I lost the passion for taking photos.

Fast forward almost 30 years, long divorced, I've finally decided to find my photographic bliss. I've spent weeks deciding what kind of camera I would choose, and thanks to so many of the users on this site I now have an Olympus E-P3 with a 17mm f2.8 and a 14-42 II. I'm already plotting my next lens, and have spent many wonderful hours out shooting with my new toy.

For me, photography has always been about passion more so than technology (though I love the technology too), and the micro four thirds community in general and the E-P3 specifically just seem to embody passion. So now I join the rest of you, a new zealot out to proselytize the joy of photography unfettered by bulk and megapixels. Glad to be here.

Hal

• Like Like x 2
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Welcome to the club. It certainly sounds like you'll fit right in here with lots of hard won wisdom and experience to share.

I love your description of :43: as "photography unfettered by bulk and megapixels." Olympus and/or Panasonic should steal that.

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hal, welcome aboard!

I started shooting 35mm in the late 60's and this newfangled :43: format has really energized the hobby for me.

Just as I became too old to schlep the gear, the gear was downsized :biggrin:.

Enjoy your return to the hobby!

Regards,

Jim

4. luiztakei

luiztakei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Luiz
    And don't forget to show us some photos! :smile:

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Sounds like a familiar story. Though in my case it was to stay at home with the kids and I'm still married and still shooting Bar/Bat Mitzvahs.

I did end up giving up the hobby part for a while. Thanks to the m4/3 I have at least found it again.

Welcome to the group.

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Welcome. I came back to photography after a 30+ year break a bit under 2 years ago when I bought the E-P3 with the 14-42 and 40-150 zooms. The 17mm F/2.8 was my first prime soon after.

I think you're in for a lot of fun. The E-P3 is a great camera.

7. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Welcome back!

I feel compelled to share that while the artistic elements and general rules still are where it's all at, the technology is often presented as the same but 'just digital.'

Many photographers take pictures using the same technicals as they used with film. The technology and how you deal with the dynamic range of a scene ARE VERY DIFFERENT with digital. Camera sensors are not film and do not 'roll off' the highlights, they simply have data or they don't, leaving blackness in shadows or sharp edges in highlight details.

That was a big deal for me when I decided to relearn the craft... I hope that you 'get' that sooner than I did!

Enjoy, it's a great hobby!

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Welcome Hal. I had a similar journey without the weddings or the divorce. But waaaaay into it in the '70s and early '80s, never professionally, but obsessively. Got married, started a career, had kids, and photography other than family snapshots just fell by the wayside. I came back to it, also via an Olympus Pen (the EP2 after an aborted start with the EPL1) almost exactly 3 years ago. Discovered digital processing and I've been a total addict ever since. Digital is fun - really fun. Way more decisions can be made after the shot (color vs B&W, filters, effects, much more precise dodging and burning and specific area contrast and "structure" adjustments. It took me a month or two to wrap my head around the differences and, despite my very fond memories from the film days, I'm never going back.

Have fun!

-Ray

9. Biggstr

Biggstr Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Ashburn, VA
    Welcome to Micro 43 Hal ...

I share a lot of your experiences. To me, photography is "painting with light". It's imaging with a sensor (or film), aperture, and speed ... the fundamentals.

I started photograph in the 1960s with an Argus C3 and a Rolleiflex. I became an enthusiast in the 1970s with Nikon 35mm and Mamiya 330-Professional systems. Always had fixer stains on my fingernails. Toyed with commercial work, including a few weddings, and then stalled. In 2001, I made the leap to digital with a Nikon D100. Later picked up a D200, D60, and D5000. At one point, I had 23 Nikon lenses.

Eighteen months ago, I tired of the backaches associated with lugging around a Nikon body and a few lenses. (Maybe that's why I stalled; it all just weighed too much to enjoy.) I made the switch to micro 43 and I rediscovered the joy of photography. Given the weight/size advantages, I now carry a camera with me wherever I go. When in the field, I often carry two to four micro 43 bodies with lenses mounted. Is micro 43, the "sweet spot" for photography. Just picked up a PM2. Given the size and weight, 16 MP clean to ISO 1250 ... mind boggling!

10. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Welcome to the forums and can't wait to see some of the pictures you have taken!

11. Obfuscation

Obfuscation New to Mu-43

Thanks to all of you for this wonderful, warm welcoming. Particular thanks to Dan Cassat for his insight into the differences between the world of film and digital. There are so many wonderful new things to learn like: JPEG or RAW, Histogram...who cares.... And so many of the same old questions too like: Fixed focal length or Zoom....

Oh boy, this is going to be fun....thanks again to my new community.

Hal

12. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Welcome Hal! I actually know where Milwaukie is, went by Bob's Red Mill yesterday on the way to Sauvie Island. :biggrin:

Can't wait to see your photos.

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard! I have an E-P3 and I love the feel and handling. Enjoy!