Back to Olympus-M1X, from the WAAAAYYY back, not new to DSLR

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
Short background, almost done liquidating 3 Nikon D500/600mm f4/500mm f5.6 PF/300mm f4 PF/bunch-of-other-stuff. Saw the M1X in action, tested for a weekend on "fast-moving-subjects" and was amazed at how close it seems to be to the D500 in handling. When in the field I commonly carry 2 D500's, 600mm f4, another lens on 2nd body, tripod, gimbal head, over 20lbs easy I'm too lazy to add it up closer. With 2 M1x, 300f4, 40-150 f2.8 I can shed a lot of weight, and at 69 years old, that makes the walking a lot easier.

The purpose of this thread is to ask for advice/insight/help in camera setup, quirks, things to avoid, etc. Basically I want to absorb all the knowledge you have learning this system so I don't have to do the hard part of learning.

I am going to link to a different thread and a post by masayoshi: Very Helpful Info, for an example of what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance, especially if I forget to thank you individually.

Hopefully this information will be helpful to others as well.

I’m sure he’ll get around to it, but John Greengo at CreativeLive.com has done a lot of video courses on specific cameras... various makes, models etc. He does a credible job of explaining in detail the ins and outs of Olympus cameras. I had a D700 on my first foray into digital, and took a course by some Nikon experts (not at CreativeLive btw) and was as baffled after taking the course as I was going in.

When I moved to Olympus (em5.2 then em1.2), and on the recommenced of a friend at our camera club, I took Greengo’s courses for both cameras... and both were eminently more useful in getting up to snuff than the Nikon ones... and this after hearing about how cryptic the olympus menu system was.

Greengo is usually pretty quick about getting courseware together so he may have something sooner than later.

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
Since you're going to use EM1X with 300mmF4, I suggest to do the AF fine tune. This is especially important when you have 1.4TC teleconverter.
There is a great 'how to' thread created by @Phocal.
EM1 Micro Focus Adjustment - Why and How to Perform

I've done that focus tuning for my D500/300mmPF, and trying to do the same thing with EM1X.
So far, I just do by my own method, which is, change all the tuning to -2 and go to shoot flying ducks, review the image, change it to +2 and go flying duck BIF again, comeback and review the image. If either one has a lot more OOF images, I would say the lens may have front/back focusing issue. Then, if I find -2 is better than +2, I would repeat testing -1, -2, and -3 until I find more sharp images. I know it's not a scientific method, and very time consuming, but after all, the important thing is whether I get sharp image or not. Even I get a perfect focus on the static chart, sometimes I still get OOF images due to the fast movement of the bird in real life. For my 1.4TC, I found I need to set the parameter to +2, but that could be different for you.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
For my 1.4TC, I found I need to set the parameter to +2, but that could be different for you.
@masayoshi , I just ran through shots with the 300mm at +2, 0, -2 and then with the 1.4TC. I also did the same with the 40-150mm at 150mm without and then with the 1.4TC. I found both lenses were fine on their own but adding +2 with the TC in both cases improved focus.
I assume the camera settings are just left with AF Focus Adj. at the Lens Data setting.

masayoshi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Masaaki
@masayoshi , I just ran through shots with the 300mm at +2, 0, -2 and then with the 1.4TC. I also did the same with the 40-150mm at 150mm without and then with the 1.4TC. I found both lenses were fine on their own but adding +2 with the TC in both cases improved focus.
I assume the camera settings are just left with AF Focus Adj. at the Lens Data setting.
Thank you for chiming in. I haven't done AF fine tune with my 40-150mm, but sounds like TC really needs parameter adjustment from both of our experience.
I'm actually using -1 for 300mm without TC, and I think it improves focus, as compared to +/- 0.

By the way, until recently, I was changing all the + and - values for each grid of adjusting screen, and it was pain to change all the grids. Then, I found pressing right arrow pad highlights everything and I can change all of the numbers in one action. Great! Well, I just learned hard way.:blush:

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Re custom settings.

masayoshi covered this pretty well especially the need to initially start from the Mode you want the custom mode to have.

How i use them is I will preset the settings i expect to use for an event into C4, changes before shooting on the day will be saved over the initial settings, then changes ongoing during the day will be saved back to C3 and we will switch to C3 .... further constructive changes will go back to C4... rinse repeat
If i want two discrete set-ups for a day then we start with C4 and C3 and replicate to C2/C1 Odds/Evens
If i have stuff already in settings i want to keep, save them off to the computer before the event and bring them back later.

You can go to Modes A/S/M/P and recall a custom setting and you will get everything but the original mode. then you can tweak and save back.

I try and have C1 set to be a known normal use setup, daily shooting type settings, gives quick access to a known set of settings.

The big thing is you need ALL the settings including button assignments set to go into the custom set, tweaked button assignments should be updated in all custom setting you want them in if you want consistent setup.

It's huge flexibility to have completely different camera settings including all button setups that also is a pain when you like to keep as many of those as consistent as you can. I find it hard enough to remember what one set of buttons does let alone different configurations :)

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I never can remember what I've load into the custom settings the next time I pick up the camera. Worse is what custom set is loaded into the next camera body I pick up too, so I don't use them. Multiple custom sets on multiple bodies is just to much for me to remember, and I've gotten into the "Why isn't this damn thing working right?" as a result of using them.

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
Well, I think I have finally gotten through the initial setup, whew! Got stuck on changing the AF from single point to one of the patterns. For some stupid reason I got lost and forgot that you need to get to the display of all the points and then rotate the front dial. Setting the C1-C4 is pretty easy from then on.

Can't quite figure out how to make the "peaking" thing work, not sure what I'm doing wrong here yet.

Is there a way to set the AF point so it doesn't jump around once it is locked on? I find it, as did my wife, a bit distracting.

I agree with others that I can't remember all the different button combinations I can make. I expect that I will set a couple of sets and leave it at that. Definitely keeping all the button functions the same.

pdq42, thank you very much for the nice compliment. I really need to update images on the site.

Carbonman, you are just up the road a bit, we should try to get together in the not distant future and compare. We head up to your neck of the woods every 4th of July, our dog can't handle the fireworks. Thinking of possibly heading up the Sunshine Coast for a few days.

pondball, thanks for the Greengo tip, I'll go take a look.

Mack and Phil, I totally agree, going to keep things as consistent as possible across the two bodies, hope to have the second one later this week.

Any other favorite settings? I am searching other sites as well. Once I get things set I am leaving the darned things alone. Can I save the settings from one camera and import them to the other?

Retief

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bill Dewey
Hopefully next week the second camera will get here and I can give this a try.

Oh, wait, I just realized I need to go back to Nikon, I think I made a big mistake. I fear I will never hear:
"Wow, that's a BIG lens you have!"
again ………

(he didn't really say that, did he????)

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
I fear I will never hear:
"Wow, that's a BIG lens you have!"
again ………

(he didn't really say that, did he????)
Bill you really don't need that second camera then so just drop ship it my way, i call dibs first :)

Well maybe this could help :) for big lens concerns
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_EM67105 by Phil Gartner, on Flickr

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom