Back to M43 with the GX9

lithprinter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
Hello. I joined recently and posted a 'selfie' in the BW thread. Thanks for all comments.

I have been taking photographs for about 30 years. I mainly work in monochrome and still have a darkroom, but I also use digital and print my photos using inkjet. Recently I was diagnosed with arthritis in both knees and had a fall which has left me in pain when walking due to ligament damage (although I am seeing a physio and this will eventually be cured). This led me to reconsider micro 4/3 as an option due to the light weight and also the relatively low cost of the lenses. I was using a Sony full frame (A7Rii) but the lenses are huge and expensive and now difficult for me to carry around. I found my old Panasonic G1 which was gathering dust at the bottom of a drawer and it still had the old kit zoom attached (14-45mm). I also realised that several of the prints on my walls were actually taken with the G1 and they still look pretty good.

I gave the G1 a spin and was really impressed with the quality of the images (being 'only' 12MP) and the lightness of the package so I traded one of my big Sony zooms for a GX9. I am really impressed with it so far. I then also got a used 20mm/f1.7 and 45-150mm f4/5.6. This was the package I used to have with the G1. I will probably upgrade the kit zoom to the 12-35mm f2.8 or the Leica 12-60mm at some point. I also have a MFT/Nikon adapter and lots of Nikon lenses to play with.

Hunting around the net for M43 forums I joined this one which seems like a good place to hang out. Hopefully I will post more images soon when I use the camera more.

Cheers,
Mark

Juggernaut

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Larry
Welcome! really enjoy your B&W PP techniques. As a GX9 user I am looking forward to your more BW photos.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Hello. I joined recently and posted a 'selfie' in the BW thread. Thanks for all comments.

I have been taking photographs for about 30 years. I mainly work in monochrome and still have a darkroom, but I also use digital and print my photos using inkjet. Recently I was diagnosed with arthritis in both knees and had a fall which has left me in pain when walking due to ligament damage (although I am seeing a physio and this will eventually be cured). This led me to reconsider micro 4/3 as an option due to the light weight and also the relatively low cost of the lenses. I was using a Sony full frame (A7Rii) but the lenses are huge and expensive and now difficult for me to carry around. I found my old Panasonic G1 which was gathering dust at the bottom of a drawer and it still had the old kit zoom attached (14-45mm). I also realised that several of the prints on my walls were actually taken with the G1 and they still look pretty good.

I gave the G1 a spin and was really impressed with the quality of the images (being 'only' 12MP) and the lightness of the package so I traded one of my big Sony zooms for a GX9. I am really impressed with it so far. I then also got a used 20mm/f1.7 and 45-150mm f4/5.6. This was the package I used to have with the G1. I will probably upgrade the kit zoom to the 12-35mm f2.8 or the Leica 12-60mm at some point. I also have a MFT/Nikon adapter and lots of Nikon lenses to play with.

Hunting around the net for M43 forums I joined this one which seems like a good place to hang out. Hopefully I will post more images soon when I use the camera more.

Cheers,
Mark
Much sympathy for your health plight. I have many myself.

Some of my best photos were taken with my 10 MPx E-510 and its two kit lenses. I've made excellent A2 prints from my 5 MPx E-1 ...

:Welcome: to this friendly forum, and (back to) micro four thirds generally.

I am here for nearly the same reason.

I was a Pentax user ever since my switch to digital. About 7 years ago I became afflicted with Rheumatoid Arthritis which stopped me in my tracks with any and all activities. I was to the point there for a while I needed a cane or a walker depending on the day.

I thought that in my spare time since I couldn’t work any more I would have lots of time for my photography hobby. However I couldn’t even hold my cameras. Biggest problem was that I shoot mostly with long lenses.

Got so frustrated I sold everything.

Fast forward a couple years and some very expensive medication, I am now back to about 1/2 of my old self and that is going to be good as it gets.

I experimented with some M43 gear some years ago with very favorable results. I also experimented with lots of other brands. So then came the time to get my old lifelong hobby kick started and went right to M43. I was so happy the day I received my first camera order - I could pick it up and hold it!

Long lenses are my thing so I saved up for a PL100-400. Amazingly light for the reach. Even with the PL12-60 I still can’t hold steady because of my hands but have never been afraid of a tripod. Not a problem since 99% of my photos are taken right here on my own property.

I also looked around for a forum to join and found this one to be the best - never any regrets there.

Good luck and hope to see you again soon!

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I too played into the game with a G1; it picked a good time to drop by as the K-7 sensor (their last non-sony) was pretty much a draw compared to the Lumix for noise. :eek-31: The K-5 won out for several years in various forms but µ43 has won its place.

Ah the fun times I had trying for the proper sense of proportion.. oh maybe I'm still doing that?
1627429573315.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

worryup

New to Mu-43
Welcome, Mark your works are marvelous!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom