1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Back to m4/3 from NEX

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by flipmack, Mar 16, 2015.

1. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    So I finally sold my NEX-3N kit yesterday and managed to score my favorite m4/3 lens - the Sigma 19/2.8 at the same time (thank you Craigslist!). It's currently my only lens for my recently-acquired Olympus OMD EM5 but I have a feeling that it's probably going to be my only lens for a long time.

I can go on and on about the differences between NEX and m4/3 - but for my purposes, the NEX and APS-C format just didn't work out.

I love *DEEP* depth of field and using my lenses wide open. With the exception of the Sigma 30/2.8 that I had for NEX, all of the Sony lenses I used required stopping down to f/8 before I got sufficient depth of field. Additionally, I just never had an 'emotional' connection with the NEX-3N. Sure, it was serviceable and had great output, but I just never felt the urge to take pictures with it.

The NEX-3N had so much going for it - built-in HDR, literally NO noise until ISO 6400, power zoom...again, lots. But, I just never 'felt' it.

I'm also contemplating selling my full-size 4/3 Olympus E-3, but I think my wife likes using it with the 40-150/3.5-4.5. She and I have different shooting styles - I like to contemplate and take in a scene, but she likes to take LOTS and LOTS of pictures of the kids and other things from far away. Besides, the E-3 has almost NO value anymore...even though I basically got it for a song last year.

Anyway, I'm back. Never really left.

If you're curious about NEX, feel free to respond back and I'll answer what I can.

• Like Like x 3
  2. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    I started in the MILC world with a NEX-5R. Took a lot of great photos with it. Wanted a viewfinder, and got a NEX-6, then an OM-D E-M5 for weather sealing. My MILC lineup also includes a Pentax Q for a pocket-able little shooter. The E-M5 gets the most use, but I like all 3. There are definite differences between the 3 formats, but nothing that causes me heartburn. My favorite use of the NEX-6 is with old Pen F lenses for a dreamy, film-ish rendering. My E-M5 almost always has an Olympus 4/3 lens on it, either the 14-54 Mk II or 50-200 ED. Superb lenses, if a tad bit on the large size.

3. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    My plan is to use my ZD 14-54 mk1 and ZD 35 macro on the OMD. I did give in and pick up the Sigma 19/2.8 yesterday though.

I had a NEX-3N, so there was no way to attach a viewfinder to it. Output was great, but again, I've always shot 4/3, so I'm intimately familiar with the sensor size and its limitations and have built my entire workflow around it.

For a pocketable camera, the 20MP camera on my Lumia 1520 is *awesome* and it's with me everywhere I go. I actually take a lot of snapshots with it.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That honestly doesn't make a lot of sense. The difference between NEX and M4/3 for DOF is only about 3/4 of a stop. If you had to stop down to f8 on NEX then you'd be at about f6 on m4/3.

Using your Sigma 19mm f2.8 wide open would pretty close to using a 25mm lens on NEX at f3.7

5. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    yes, you're correct. there's truth to your statement. When I had the Sigma 30/2.8 on NEX, I needed to stop down to f/8 to get it acceptable (subjective here). However, when I owned it on m4/3 several years ago, I was shooting wide open. I think obviously, I was more critical of the NEX.

I was shooting with my EM5 and the Sigma 19/2.8 yesterday and I was getting background blur at 2.8, but then again, I was focusing on close subjects within 1ft. However, when I shot an entire room at f/2.8, everything was sufficiently in focus. Different focal length - sure. I don't think I got the same result with the NEX and the kit 16-50 - even wide open.

I think the latter part of that paragraph where I said that I never got an emotional connection with the NEX is more true than the DOF statement.

6. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I made the same switch. My first MILC after DSLR was an NEX-5R, with a full kit of lenses and accessories, all of which I used for some major photo trips. I liked the image quality and light weight but just couldn't come around to liking the funky, add-on viewfinder, disliked the menu system, hated the flash set-up and eventually got caught in rain while shooting on Hokkaido which forced me to improvise in a rather clumsy way. That last was a jolt after my weather-sealed Pentax K-5, which I could shoot in virtually any conditions, and pushed me over the edge to sell all the NEX gear and switch to the EM-5. I haven't looked back since.

7. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    I had a Pentax K-30 for about 8 months. It was a very nice camera with excellent IQ, and being able to go out in any weather conditions with it and the 55-300 WR was a bonus. However, I never really got used to its controls, and eventually sold the combo.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  8. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I wonder if what you're talking about isn't entirely related to DOF, but also to the sharpness of the lens across the frame. The Sigma lenses are designed to cover the larger APS-C size sensor in the NEX cameras and many lenses while fairly sharp in the center wide open aren't necessarily sharp across the frame until stopped down a few stops. The advantage of using a lens designed to cover a larger sensor like APS-C on a m43 camera is that you can end up with a much sharper image across the entire frame at larger apertures since you're essentially 'cropping' out the edges and using more of the center.

9. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    You're right. This is it. I thought I was comparing apples to apples but in reality, I wasn't.

I also probably exaggerated the f/8 statement. I did have to stop down...I just remember it was something that was higher than f/5.6.

10. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Fully agree that my experience with Nex was that corner sharpness suffered pretty badly when shooting wide open. I have much better experience with the m43 lenses in that regard.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So far I have not used a m4/3 lens that I wasn't fully comfortable shooting wide open. Honestly, I'm getting more subject isolation on m4/3 vs APS-C because I can shoot all my lenses at max aperture and get nice sharp results corner to corner with excellent AF accuracy. I had to stop all my DSLR lenses down 1-2 stops to get sharp corners and at max aperture, the AF hit rate was pretty poor. So reality often beats all the forum "equivalence" theory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I came to m43 from an NEX-6.

I loved the ergonomics of the NEX-6, it felt very good in the hand. It had a really nice EVF and rear LCD screen. However I didn't like the lack of customization available (I have a GH3 & GH4 now, with more customization than I know what to do with), the lack of a touch screen (I'm surprised how often I use this on my cameras), and the fact that Sony didn't seem to know what they wanted to do with their camera division (they had A-mount, E-Mount in APS-C, and the big rumor was Full Frame E-Mount). I ended up selling all of my stuff about a month before the A7 announcement, and I'm really glad I did. Once the Full Frame E-Mount cameras came out, APS-C E-Mount was the red-headed step child. It seems that nearly all the focus is on FF E-Mount (with the exception of the A77 MkII, which has its own niche).

I moved over to m43, worked my way up to my current kit (GH3 & GH4, 12-35 f/2.8, 35-100 f/2.8, 45-175 PZ, PL 25mm, 17mm f/1.8, 9mm FE BCL). The only thing I'm missing in the m43 system is a really wide zoom lens that can take filters (Sony has the 10-18 for APS-C and 16-35 for Full Frame), and something longer than 200mm eqv. with a fast aperture and OIS (the 45-175 and 100-300 are a bit slow at 4.0-5.6). Panasonic had showed a demo 150 f/2.8 prime lens that would have been perfect, but ever since Olympus announced their 40-150 PRO, not a word from Panasonic about the prime lens (which is a real shame, because you really need OIS at 300mm eqv. FoV, and it would have been a great fit for the type of shooting I do.