Back Into m43 With a OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by khollister, Sep 28, 2012.

1. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    After using a E-P2 in early 2011, I sold off most of the lenses and flash due to it not quite getting me there as an alternate system to my Nikon DSLR's. Fast forward to now and one of my main photography buddies has been using an OM-D and an IR converted E-PL1 as alternates to his Nikon DSLR rigs. The short story is I am taking receipt of a new silver OM-D with 12-50 kit lens, the O45 and the P14 today (waiting on the Brown Truck of Happiness from Amazon). The O75, O60 macro and O12 are probably in the cards once I verify this is going to work out for me. I can also see an E-PL5, especially if I can get it without another kit lens as some point.

My biggest issues with the E-P2 were high ISO, focus speed and lack of control over DOF. THe OM-D seems to handily take care of the first 2 and the new generation of fast primes helps on the DOF concern.

I never managed to sell the E-P2 and 14-42 kit lens, so I may eventually get that converted to monochrome IR as well.

I am fine using my D800's for birds, sports and landscapes I plan to print large, so the Oly should be great as a more portable (and therefore more present) rig for the opportunities that pop up in day to day life.

It is also small enough to fit a reasonable kit into a bag that fits in the saddlebags of my motorcycle (HD Road King). I already have a Benro clone of the small Gitzo Traveler CF tripod, so I'm set there.

Wish me luck :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Good luck! Enjoy. :biggrin:

3. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Welcome back Keith!

I too own "a bunch of Nikon stuff" (including a new D800e). Guess what? I rarely use it anymore as my preference is for my little OM-D based system... Yes, the Nikon IQ is better, but the OM-D is close in most cases and I'm more inspired to shoot with it given it's size and features (IBIS, etc).

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I also have a D3/D800E. But my E-M5 does the bulk of my personal shooting. :wink:

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome back to the forum, Keith!

6. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    Thanks, Kyle. Glad to be back