Back in time, upstairs at Harrington's

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by denis_sf, Jul 2, 2013.

1. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Harrington’s is a vintage furniture store in San Francisco’s Mission District. We walked in in hopes of finding an unusual ceiling fan. No luck on that front. However....

I was trying to get a feel for my brand new 75mm (BLACK! WOOHOO!) the other day on a walk around the city. I was halfway across the room when I shot this image. I took this photo because I liked the way the light from the window at left fell across the books and highlighted the texture on the wall behind the bookshelf.

When I got home and reviewed the photos from the day I zoomed in on the bookshelf (yes, I was pixel peeping :p) and found that I recognized the red- and blue-bound books on the second shelf – they are the World Book Encyclopedia.

When I was a little boy, my grand-mère and grand-père had this very set of encyclopedias. I remember distinctly running to the family room, grabbing the ‘A’ volume and flipping madly through the pages of the book to the color plates of the African and Asian animals and staring at them for what seemed like a long time. I was five.

I felt five again when I saw those books. I hope that the encyclopedias will be there when I go back to visit them.

Attached Files:

2. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    There was one set of encyclopedias in our neighborhood and everyone shared. Thanks for the memories. Nice photo.