1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Back in the hobby after four year break with a new G7.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Photorx12, May 27, 2016.

1. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Hey guys, had to take a break because i went off on an academic journey to become a pharmacist which included a grueling residency. Anyways, I'm back and just purchased a new G7 with the 14-42 mm kit lens along with a Sigma 60 mm F2.8 EX lens.

I really wanted the GX85 but had a hard time locating one so went with the G7 figuring that I can get the hang of the micro four thirds world in the G7 and invest in a newer camera as my experience develops down the road.

One of the questions I have is what lens do you guys recommend for low light situations and also for wide angle shots. I'm flying out to Vegas and would love to take a lot of shots there.

FYI I do also have a LAMZIX Auto Focus AF Adapter for Canon EOS EF to M4/3 MFT camera adapter to open up the possibility towards more lenses as option.

Also, any general tips for use on the G7 will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and look forward to being more active again in the forum.

• Like Like x 1
  2. profgregorio

profgregorio Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Manila, Philippines
    I am very happy with the way my PL 25 1.4 works on my G7 at 3200 ISO for my low-light situations. For night shots, try to select the WB setting which will work best with the available lighting. I hope you enjoy your return to photography.

• Like Like x 1
  3. roelwillems

roelwillems Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2015
    Roel Willems
    The PL 25 1.4 is great, although you could also go for a 20 1.7 which can be found quite cheap. For wide angle the Olympus 12 2.0 is superb but I'm also really enjoying the Panasonic 14 2.5 (also cheap) and like it for the more versatile field of view.

I personally don't fuss over the minor sharpness / focus speed difference between those lenses (having al 4) and picked them for the field of view (and sometimes size, the 20 and 14 being pancake design lenses which is very practical on some occasions).

What could also work is using the 20 1.7 and stitch multiple shots to create a wide panoramic image. Works great and would mean investing in one (bargain) lens to get started and see from there what you like.

4. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    The Lumix 14mm f2.5 and Lumix 20mm f1.7 were the first two lenses I bought for the first m4/3 camera I tried, those were a good start for me. Also the 14-42 that comes with the G7 is usually a very good lens for a "kit" lens, a fair amount improved over what used to come with Panasonic cameras. I have a G7 and although I have a fair collection of "native" lenses, often appreciate the compactness and light weight of the G7 with that 14-42mm.

If budget will allow it give a serious look at the Olympus 12mm f2.0. Since you already have the 14mm wide (28mm equiv) on the "kit" lens there's not a lot of speed diff between f3.5 and f2.5. I found a slightly used copy of the 12mm on this site's Buy-Sell forum at a very attractive price and it is a very neat "fast" wide angle.

If you already have Canon EF lenses that adapter of yours could come in handy but most of those optics may be a bit heavy and "unwieldy" on a super light body like the G7.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    In the fun and cheap category there's always the Samyang/Bower 7.5mm fisheye. Cheap, very sharp, and defishable. I like ultra wide for cities, and Vegas shots with a FE should be pretty trippy

• Like Like x 1
  6. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I ended up returning the G7 and got the GX85 and couldn't be any happier. I also found and old Nikon adapter for micro four thirds that I had stored away and now using with a 50 mm manual lens. It's been fun being able to shoot again. been going to a lot of soccer matches as of late since a big tournament is being played in the US, so now looking for a good zoom lens to capture some action scenes.