1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Back in the fold

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tonyturley, Sep 13, 2016.

1. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    Some time ago, I sold off all of my MFT gear and jumped into the Fuji pool with both feet with an X100 and X-E1. Something nagged inside me about selling my E-M5, and my wife warned that I would regret it, but there were things about the Fujis that I liked.

While the IQ of both X-mount cameras was excellent, there were some usability issues with both, so I sold them and bought an X-T1, an "upscale E-M5", or so I told myself. Again, great IQ, but the camera has never resonated with me. I have been considering selling it for some time.

The camera that gets about 90% of my work is my Fuji X30. "Tiny" 2/3" sensor, but I really like its usability, and while the IQ doesn't match the APS-C cameras I have owned, I simply like the X30 more. It reminds me a lot in its form factor of my old E-M5.

I have therefore purchased a mint condition E-M5 at a very good price, as well as an Olympus 17mm 1.8, my favorite combination. I know the E-M5 is "old" tech, but it was the digicam I used the longest. What pushed me over the edge was spending time going through my O-MD archives looking at photos, asking myself "why did I ever sell this camera?".

My wife was right; the "upgrade" to larger sensors with larger lenses did not make me a better photographer, nor was I more satisfied. In fact, the upgrade merry-go-round led to a great deal of dissatisfaction. Pound for pound, the E-M5 and X30 have been my most fun cameras to use. I'm looking foward to getting out with my "new" camera.

2. JNB

JNB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Doesn't that tag line of yours read "It's not about the gear?" :)

Personally, the fit in my hands and the ease of control are very important. My current camera is an E-M5 mkii, and I like it just fine. I would be even happier with the Olympus sensor and IBIS stuffed into a Panasonic G7 body, however. Everyone's different. The important thing is that you're back with a camera that you feel is a good fit for you. Your images will benefit from that.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    You're right about the fit. I think that's why the X30 works so well for me. I just enjoy that form factor so much more.

As for the signature, I actually put that there as a reminder to myself to get off the upgrade hamster wheel.

4. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    I know exactly what you're on about. I ventured into DSLR with an APSC Canon. Loved it. Experimented with various longer zooms and fastish primes. Ended up getting stolen, along with 99% of my lenses. A bit of curiosity driven by the hype of the fairy dust that apparently resides in full frame sensors, saw me acquire a 6D and some f/1.8-2.8 primes as a replacement. Sure, my photos suddenly had less noise in low light, but the camera started to spend more time at home, than out and about with me.
    Enter the GX8, purchased on sale at an exceptionally good price, and a bunch of tiny, light, fast primes. Nirvana. It goes everywhere with me. Overseas holidays. Road trips on my bikes. The fast primes nearly make up the shortfall in high ISO performance. So close it's not worth worrying about.
    The best camera is the one you have in your hands, most of the time. The EVF, fast accurate AF, customisable controls, weather sealing and lack of weight are just icing on the rather delicious cake.

5. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    I just completed a major purge. Where once I had shelves full of film and digital cameras, lenses, and adapters, I now have only 2 old film cameras that I wanted to keep, one of them for sentimental reasons. I've been selling off stuff for months, and what I couldn't sell was donated to a local thrift shop. My gear is now as simple and uncluttered as it gets: the E-M5 with a single lens and the X30, plus an old Olympus 35RC that I carry around with a roll of film in it. For lack of a better term, it felt very liberating letting go of all of that stuff.

6. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    I need to do the same thing. Congratulations on your freedom!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    Good luck, man! I hope your experience goes smoothly and you stay happy with your choice.

As I've recently posted elsewhere, I had a bit a reverse experience versus yours, where I found myself shelving m4/3 in favor of full frame in spite of size and weight. I think I've found my balance again shooting both formats. Funny how things turn out so differently for different people.

8. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    Thanks. You're right about that last line; our preferences are as varied as our personalities.

9. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    A year into my complete change from Nikon to M43, I can honestly say I've never been happier with my "photographic life" than now. So much so I am actually spending money on other things than photo gear (that hasn't happened in a long time).

10. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    Welcome back!
    I forced myself to let go of my k-3 dSLR this week; it can do more than my GM1 but the areas where it excels are those where I'm weak/lazy (e.g. post-processing pixelshift images to correct for motion). The GM1 has multi exposure, timelapse still/video and it fits in a big pocket - so it stays!

After dabbling in :mu43: twice (early G series then PM2/EM10/EM5) the GM1 has stuck - so I plan for this to be my system for a while. :) I'm also selling off my Samsung NX300 gear so my wife can join me.

11. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    All I know is my m43 cameras' abilities FAR exceeds my own knowledge & ability to squeeze the most out of them. I doubt I will ever get to the point where I can seriously say I have done as much as I can with the gear I have now.

• Agree Agree x 1