Back from Africa

Discussion in 'Nature' started by RedLeopard, Oct 2, 2011.

1. RedLeopard

RedLeopard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Bolton, UK
    Just back from a fab month-long trip to Botswana staying at Limpopo-Lipadi Game and Wilderness Reserve. I took along my GH2 (as well as my 40D, a compact and a video camera) and thought I'd post a few shots that I got.

I was really pleased with the portability and speed with which I could adapt to changing situations - quick lens changes even in moving vehicles, light gear bag to carry up koppies and on walks, easy to hand-hold and so on. This definitely enabled me to get some shots that I wouldn't have taken with the 40D (either because I wouldn't have had it with me in the first place, or I wouldn't have been able to bring the right lens to bear on the subject). The other plus was being able to quickly swop to grabbing HD video when the opportunity presented itself - which enabled me to capture some really cool footage of a leopard jumping from a tree at a group of impala!

The downside however was the performance in lower light, namely the critical periods around sunrise and sunset. Stills images were ok but trying to get shots of moving animals proved quite hard and the resulting pictures either lost some sharpness due to increased exposure time or suffered from noise issues if I bumped the ISO up.

I hope you enjoy the images below, you can see more in the whole gallery if you want to compare to the 40D shots or are just generally interested in African wildlife. Questions and feedback welcome.

• Like Like x 10
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    #6 does it for me...:smile:

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Nice stuff! We are off to southern Africa in November; SA, Zim, and Namibia. I have both a Panny 14-140 and (bought for this trip) a 100-300. I am curious: For the animals, what focal length range did you typically find you needed?

4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Beautiful shots! I'm kinda jealous of your trip. I love the third shot, the light is just amazing:2thumbs:

5. RedLeopard

RedLeopard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Bolton, UK

Oldracer: the majority of the time you'll be using the long end of the range - I took the same two ranges of lenses. With wildlife you virtually always want more zoom than you have, especially with birds! However definitely don't neglect the short end as you can get some really nice environmental shots and it allows you to capture the energy of herds.

It certainly depends a lot on how close you can get, which becomes a function of how used to vehicles the animals you see are, the skill of the guide, the maturity of the reserve and its road network and so on. We were able to use a few hides too which helped - I have a leopard shot that only manages to get the head and shoulders in the frame :)

Enjoy your trip, I'm sure it will be fabulous!

KVG: Yeah, the late afternoon light in Africa is one of my favourite things in the world. The colours it gives images are beautiful, plus you get to enjoy it with friends, a cold beer and some amazing animals :)

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Fine work. I've been to Tanzania and Kenya, and Africa is certainly a great place to use a camera.

7. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    +1. I need to put a trip to Africa on my bucket list.

What lenses were used with your m43 bodies? Would you take your DSLR kit again?

8. RedLeopard

RedLeopard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Bolton, UK
    Everyone should go to Africa at least once :) But be prepared to be longing to go back ever after!

I took the following:

GH2 body
    14-140mm
    100-300mm
    50mm FD and adaptor
    Extension tubes
    40D
    18-55mm
    120-300mm
    1.4x teleconverter
    Monopod
    Fujifilm T200
    Legria FS200

All the usual batteries, chargers, UV and polarising filters, memory cards (filled over 60GB!) and so on.

I think I would always take the DSLR unless i was having to travel very light or likely to be spending the whole time walking.

9. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    These are very nice...I like them all!!