Back-Focusing Issues in OM-D EM-5. Argh!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by InAssisi, Oct 21, 2015.

1. InAssisi

InAssisi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    I just got back from vacation and a lot of my photos are out of focus from the subject I was keying on.
    This is a constant issue with this camera now. Often I switch to manual to overcome this but even I can make mistakes. What I consider to be back-focusing is where the focal point is back and beyond the intended subject in front. Is there a way to tweak this on the OM-D? At this point, the camera is effectively useless if it cannot perform the simplest task of locking focus on an intended subject.
    Is the MKII better in this regard? Have they solved this frustrating issue? I cannot believe how many photos I have to toss out because of the wrong focus target. So angry right now...argh!!!!
    Any advice on overcoming this will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

CDAF S-AF shouldn't be able to back focus unless there's something seriously wrong. What I did find with the E-M5 Mk1 before they introduced the super fine AF grid was that it would focus on the background sometimes if the subject did not cover the whole AF box - it simply couldn't distinguish what in the AF box is important. Smaller AF box cured that. Are you sure this isn't the problem? The other thing is that given everything is on sensor this should be visible at the time of taking the shot, if that's happening with all your lenses with super fine AF point then you've got a problem camera. I did not have such problems with my E-M5.

With the E-M5 and O45mm I would from time to time find the eye detect AF to be slightly off, but a power cycle would cure it. Using the AF point would cure it too. Never noticed that particular problem on the E-M1.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. InAssisi

InAssisi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks. I think I have a serious problem with my camera. Contacting Olympus now...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What lenses are you using with it that causes this problem? Can you post an example? One thing that users that come from DSLR's (with PD-AF) can have difficulty adjusting to is that CD-AF will focus on the majority contrasting area within the focus box area & not the small detail in front that PD-AF would (might) normally focus on. This can be an advantage for when photographing birds in trees hiding amongst branches etc., but can result in misfocussed (intended) results.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  5. InAssisi

InAssisi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Shooting with primarily the 12-40 2.8 Pro lens. I've also had this happen with the Panny 100-300 last year. I've tried adjusting the focal point target size thing to no avail. It's back-focusing all the time now. In the image attached the target, a rather simple one, was the lady in red. Many of my shots are clunkers like this with the intended target out of focus completely.

Attached Files:

6. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Was the focus point on her - or did you let the camera decide, in which case it would have gone for the high contrast building behind.
    What focus mode? Test it with S-AF and the small focus point. I bet you that works.

7. InAssisi

InAssisi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes the focus was on her. Also I always use S-AF MF. I'm thinking about sending my camera in for diagnostics.

8. Ross the fiddler

If you are still able to view the image in the camera & go to the thumbnail view with full info it will also show the actual focus area that was used, showing position & size. In other words, it may be in a slightly different location to where it was intended from camera movement at the time of exposure. T

The other point I would also suggest checking is in Menu *C Release, Rls Priority S which should be set to Off. As quoted from using Info, "If On is selected, the shutter can be released even when the camera is not in focus in S-AF."

9. Ross the fiddler

If you always use S-AF+MF, what happens if you just use S-AF (assuming you've checked the release priority as suggested above)?

10. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Personally speaking, if you are not using spot focus to focus on the subject and then holding the shutter button reframe I do not see how it can possible give you an accurately focused subject in such a scenario. Unless I am taking head shots during which I use face/eye detection modes, I only use spot focusing for all my shots as I do not trust any camera to know what I am attempting to focus on.

I went back and took another look at that image. Since there is no information available and we're looking at a degraded image, nothing really looks in focus but that just might be the degraded image. I am wondering what shutter speed you used?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  11. InAssisi

InAssisi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yeah, thanks for that tip about checking it in camera. I did just that with the SD card back in the camera and sure enough the focus was above her head. A technique I often use is to focus, hold shutter down half way, recompose and press shutter. I wonder if this is causing me problems? As for RLS priorities, they're always set to off.
    I'm not sure about the image being degraded. It's an export straight out of lightroom, a jpeg at the highest setting I think. I'm not sure how to embed a photo on this site.

12. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Did you try to reset your camera? Sometimes reset does solve many problems.

13. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    You need some times for your setting after reset.

14. InAssisi

InAssisi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    I've tried some settings resets. Is there like a hard factory reset I could do? I've also had problem with my screen on the back. Once it went all glitchy like it was electrically fried and the other times it has gone completely blank with no way whatsoever to use it to compose with. But those are side issues.

15. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
  16. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    The image I downloaded from this site to check out is a 1200 x 1600, 96dpi image which is a low quality jpg. Unless the site automatically degrades the images, I am not sure about that, you may want to check out your Lightroom “EXPORT” settings. If you click on the image in your link and download it back to your system you will see what I mean.

17. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Full reset from camera,
    • Press [MENU] button
    • Select “Reset/Myset” in Shooting Menu 1
    • Highlight “Reset” and then press >
    • Select “Full” and press OK

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    There is a full reset in the regular menus.

Focus and recompose should work fine, but if the focus box is too large, the subject's head may still not have been what was focused on. You could try the smallest focus box.

Barry

19. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I tried shooting for a while with the camera setup as S-AF/MF. I found out that I was constantly, accidentally bumping the MF ring and throwing shots out of focus. All that went away when I just started using S-AF only. If I need MF, then I activate it via the 12-40 focus clutch instead.

20. InAssisi

InAssisi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    You know what? That's a very, very good point. Maybe that's happening to me...? Thanks for the tip.

• Like Like x 1