1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Back Button Focussing AND AEL on M1ii

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MNm43, Jul 12, 2018.

1. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2014
    I think I know the answer to this but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I want to use back button focussing but I also want to lock the exposure (AEL) on another button. As far as I can determine, once you assign a button to BBF, only the shutter half press temporarily locks the exposure . . . or am I missing something?

2. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast Subscribing Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    That's the way it's behaving on my E-M5 II with the HDR button mapped to the focus function.

3. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    Randall Todd
    I tried to figure this out months ago, and ended up with the same conclusion. I really like BBF but would really like to have AEL too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Two choices with BBF for C-AF
    C-AF Mode 3, exposure is locked at half press of shutter button
    C-AF Mode 4,exposure locks at full press of the shutter button

5. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2014
    Yeah, that's what I all I can find. Seems like a misstep to me.

6. rogazilla

rogazilla Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 17, 2018
    NC, USA
    I am interested your idea in the application of BBF and AEL with BB.

In my use, generally BBF to track the subject and if my subject move from bright to dark or vice versa, I don't want AEL at the initial point of tracking the subject, I want it only at the time of exposure. That's how I use this. The only thing I do find annoying is under auto WB and if subject move from one type of light into another takes a moment before the WB corrects, I end up having to correct this in post a lot. Baseball game at the transition between sun light and the artificial light is usually when I see this problem or when player goes between defined shade, LED screen light and direct sunlight.

7. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2015
    The sarcastic answer would be push your dial to "M" and you can AEL that way. But the slightly more serious answer is the same as @rogazilla@rogazilla asks, what is your use case? I use BBF to separate out exposure and focus due to recomposition. You can do it in the opposite order if you want, half-press the shutter (in ael/afl mode 3, s-af), then focus. This works

I can't find a way to move the button completely while retaining BBF, sorry. :) 

8. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2014
    Well yeah, M is the obvious answer. I got used to BBF on my Nikons (which does allow separate button functions for focus and AEL). The use case is when I do panos and need to lock the exposure so it is consistent frame to frame. On the Nikon it is easy to lock the exposure, then lock the focus, then you can concentrate on overlapping the frames.

9. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2015
    Thanks! I've done them with manual on Canon and Olympus :)  The Canon gear can do it, but I thought the AEL resets after a shutter press?

10. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2014
    On Nikon and Olympus, AEL locks (in A mode which is how I always use it) the exposure until either you press AEL again or shut off the camera. Never used Canon . . .

11. rogazilla

rogazilla Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 17, 2018
    NC, USA
    Learn something new! Pano which I don’t do much. I would suggest in this case to instead MF? I know it is work around... you would do MF and Ael for the B.B. instead?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.