1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Back button focus

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by orchard county, Jul 9, 2013.

1. orchard county

orchard county Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    ireland
    Hi old head needs help
    Can the video record button be used for back button focus On e-pm2?
    If so how? Thanks

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes.

Go to Menu => Sprocket => Button/Dial => AEL/AFL. There you can set Single AF, C-AF, and MF modes. Mode 3 is the one that assigns any of those AF types to the back-button. If you set MF to Mode 3, then that will still give you MF capabilities with the focus ring, but will add S-AF capabilities to the back-button. If you set C-AF to Mode 3, that will give you continuous AF as long as you hold down the back-button. You can also set S-AF to Mode 3, but in my opinion this is redundant if you have MF set to to Mode 3. You get S-AF + MF by using MF Mode 3 anyways. I just leave S-AF to the default Mode 1 just in case I ever for whatever crazy reason want to switch to shutter-focus. But I never do. ;)

Next, after you have your AF modes set, all you need to do is assign the AEL function to a button, which will become your back focus button. On the PEN cameras this is in Menu => Sprocket => Button/Dial => Button Function. This is where you will choose the Record button and set that to AEL.

Of course, you then need to go through your regular control panel to set your camera to use one of the AF types that you have set to Mode 3, or use Menu => Sprocket => AF/MF => AF Mode to do that.

4. orchard county

orchard county Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    ireland
    That did the trick guys thanks to dav1dz & ned