Back-button focus on Olympus OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by goodo, Dec 27, 2012.

1. goodo

goodo New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I don't know who you are...but thank you. One of my frustrations with my old 4/3 lenses was the refocus issue every time you want to snap a pic...with this, my lenses became a bit more useful :?)

3. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    This is VERY helpful! One thing (I think) with Myset is that you should set one of the four of them with your "regular personalized settings" - otherwise I haven't been able to figure out how to get back to them - reset takes you back to factory defaults...

4. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    This is how I have used DSLRs for years so as soon as I got the O-MD I figure out how to set this and went with it. It's nice that the O-MD has the option to go to tap to focus and shoot. Great for handing the camera to relatives who's idea of taking photos is to hit 1 button.

5. sketchy9

sketchy9 New to Mu-43

Sep 4, 2012
    A better way to do it IMO is as follows: rather than set up the S-AF mode as "mode 3", I leave it as "mode 2" ("mode 1" would work too), and I change the MF mode to "mode 3" (aka back-button focus). I then assign a button to toggle MF mode (in my case I use the record button).

Thus, when the camera is in MF mode, I can auto-focus using the AEL/AFL button (Fn1), or I can use pure manual focus, or I can auto-focus followed by fine-tune manual focus. Whenever I feel like switching to shutter button focus, I just press the record button and it switches to the traditional S-AF mode that focuses on a shutter half press (very useful when I hand the camera to someone else).

-R

6. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    lot of wedding guys also use back button and its setup as one of my presets
    the other is for flash work
    the other is basic half button press
    the other is manual focus :)

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I just tell the person to use the back button to focus.

8. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I must be mean or funny or twisted cause I just watch for a minute and see what they do :) hahahahahah

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Miss the days of the dedicated AFL/AEL button.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Yes, all of the above. lol

11. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    one thing I do the few times I have been asked to see my camera is I show them how cool the focus/shoot is on the rear screen I know its not totally new but amazed how many have not seen that :)

12. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I've back-button focused on my Canons and Nikons for 5+ years, but I don't like it on the OMD, the Fn1 button is just too small and poorly placed.

13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have mine set that way too, but I need to remember to use it & on reflecting (my mind, not light), I should have used it on several occasions to an advantage.

14. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Then why don't you assign AFL/AEL to one of the other buttons, either FN2 or REC?

15. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    because one of the main reasons for back button focus is to control focus independently of the shutter, and with a different finger, so you can activate just one or the other, or both. If I set AF to the Fn2 or Record button then both AF and shutter would be done with the same finger and I couldn't activate both at the same time. of course, this matters a lot less with a camera that doesn't do continuous AF well (yes, I've tried the tweaks).

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I hate the placement and size of the Fn1 ... I've been thinkin' of machining an extension.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Actually, for action stuff backbutton focus matters more because of crappy CAF. With crappy CAF, (ala all ยต4/3 cameras), and superb SAF, one need to constantly pump the focus button to reacquire focus on moving subjects. Having the focus and shutter release on one button requires a lot of finesse to reacquire focus and not release the shutter, but with the two actions separated one can pump the focus with abandon and not worry about releasing the shutter.

18. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    I've never had that be a be a problem.

One of the reasons back button focus is so great on my Nikons is that I can leave it on AF-C and effectively get AF-C or AF-S by either holding the AF button or just tapping it.

I love the OM-D for my personal camera, but if I'm shooting a moving subject I either stop down and zone focus or prefocus on a spot.

19. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I was just about to post a link to this article on my blog when I saw that goodo already posted it. That was a pleasant surprise... thanks a lot! :2thumbs:

20. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    But you DON'T activate both at the same time!

The whole idea of having the focus (exposure, or both) separate from the shutter release is you tap the AFL/AEL to focus/meter, and then you fire off the shutter release a few times until you have to recompose, at which point you tap the AFL/AEL again.

Trying to do both at the same time puts too much pressure on the back button (since you're using your thumb to hang onto the camera) to the point where you can damage the button...I know this from the E-300 which you HAD to hold down the AEL to keep it locked, and I damaged the circuit due to the pressure on the button; I yelled at Olympus to change this, which they decided to do with the E-330.