1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Back button focus on GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by v_roma, Nov 24, 2014.

1. v_roma

v_roma Mu-43 Rookie

May 2, 2010
    Hello,

I have been doing some reading online and I understand that back button focusing, in general, is possible with the GX7 in a couple of different ways. What I have not been able to figure out is if it is possible to use the AEL/AFL button to focus when the camera is set to manual focusing? That would be my preferred way of doing it as I would have the option of switching back to AF and use the shutter to focus, if needed. I don't own the camera yet, which is why I'm asking. :smile:

Thank you!

2. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    Yes. It sure can. And that's how I have mine set-up at the moment. It's a really cool combo.

3. v_roma

v_roma Mu-43 Rookie

May 2, 2010
    Thank you. That's great to hear. That sounds like the best implementation of back-button focusing for my uses.

4. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I have all my Panasonic cameras set for using the AEL/AFL button for back button autofocus. You have to find these items in the configuration menus:

AEL/AFL set to SINGLE AF

MF ASSIST set to ON

MF ASSIST assigned to focusing ring.

And here is how it works. You can use the shutter button half press for focus anytime until you press the AEL/AFL button. The camera then does ONE autofocus operation and locks AF there. You are now in manual focus mode and when you turn the focusing ring on the lens the "magnified assist" kicks in to help you "nail focus", you clear that by a half press on the shutter button.

But you are still in manual focus until you either press the AEL/AFL button again, change modes with the mode dial on top, or power off the camera. Any of those options reverts to default "half press of shutter button" autofocus.

I love this way of working because to me it provides the best of both AF and MF with one press of the AEL/AFL button.

This works on the GX7, GH3, GH4, and even on the GX1 when I had one of those.

5. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Only just taken delivery of my gx7, so still finding my way.

If I set up the back button so that a single press locks the focus, does anyone know when the (lens) IS kicks in, and how long it stays engaged?

Dave