Back button focus on GX1 ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by stargate, Mar 12, 2014.

1. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    On my Nikon D80 I used to use the back button focus functionality. Is there any way to have some sort of functionality like that with my GX1?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    I don't have the GX1, but do have the GF1 and GX7. Both have back-button focus capability. Try out the different options with AF/AE lock and AF/AE lock hold in the custom menu. IMHO, these features provide more flexibility in the use of back-button focusing than most DSLRs.

• Like Like x 2
  3. matt_not_andrew

matt_not_andrew Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    As Dogman says, Back-button focusing is possible on the GX1 as follows:

Menu/Set
    Custom Menu
    Page 1: AF/AE Lock/Fn2 set to AFL/AEL
    Page 2: AF/AE Lock set to AF if you want your AF and AE unlinked
    Page 2: AF/AE Lock Hold set to ON
    Page 3: Shutter AF set to OFF

I have this setup set to one of my C2 slots. It lets me back button focus in set conditions and as the shutter is unlinked to the AF, I use the back button to lock focus and then use the shutter half press to set the exposure if it changes. You can of course use the settings above to link AF to AE if you like. I use it this way as it mimicks my Pentax settings on my DSLR which I use as well.

Hopefully I've put the right settings on here. If not or it doesn't work,let me know and I'll have another look for you.

• Like Like x 3
  4. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    Thanks for the detailed info. I tried it and it works very well. However I need some clarification on the C settings. I also assigned these to C1 and indeed when I turn to C1 I get the correct functionality. But when I go back to, say, P the focus settings remain as they were for C1 instead of reverting to "normal" operation. Is this normal or have I done something wrong? At least I do get everything as before when I turn the camera off and on again.

5. matt_not_andrew

matt_not_andrew Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    I'll have to have a look later when I finish work. I think the settings carry over, which is annoying to say the least!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk