Back Button Focus & Image Stabilization

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Canonista, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I've been searching for an answer to this question, and would appreciate any insight or input:

Using the back button focus (FN1) on my m43 cameras (E-P3 & GX7), how long after I trigger the focus will the image stabilization continue to work before I release the shutter?

I'm using mostly Olympus lenses (rely on IBIS), but also have some Panny lenses with OIS (35-100).

With my Canon system, which has no IBIS, I can hear the OIS continue working for a second or two, but not with the m43 cameras.

I'm trying to determine how much time I have between focus lock and shutter actuation to ensure the OIS is working when I capture the image.

2. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    So I contacted Olympus and Panasonic, and just received a response from Oly:

"Thank you for contacting Olympus Technical Support. The In body image stabilization, functions during the actual exposure as well, when activated. So there is no limitation of time between AF and actual exposure."

So it appears that with Olympus cameras, the IBIS takes effect both upon AF lock, and shutter release. This is good to know.

We'll now see what Panny saids about their OIS.