1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Baby birds

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Tecpatl4, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    The crazy old things built a nest on top of a security light, only 7 feet off the ground, within easy reach.

I've never seen the parents, but I think they are Robins.

babybirds.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Some Robins built a nest on top of an elbow of a gutter downspout at my apartment complex. Real close to my bedroom window, I can hear them chirping in the morning. This nest sits two stories up, so I can't get as close as you have. Hopefully you can get some more pictures as the young'ns get a little older.

3. Thanks for sharing the image.

A Robin kept trying to build a nest on the front porch light this past spring. Nice protection from the weather and predators. The light is right next to the main entry door. Not sure if the bird would have adapted to me. It probably would have been a stressful situation for the bird. Plus I was not too thrilled at cleaning up the bird poop every day. But then I was thinking, "photo op". Daily I would remove the rebuilt nest. Very persistent Robin. After more than a week it gave in. The house is located in the middle of nowhere. Surrounded by thousands of acres of mixed forest. I'm sure the Robin would find a very suitable tree to nest in.

4. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    Drain pipe nest.

These guys are ready to fly anyday now. Mama is trying to coax them out.

E-PL2 w/ 40-150mm

Cheers
    ED

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Stuntman,

That is exactly where we have some robin chics. Apparently they must like the gutter downspouts. The one's here are a little younger. Nice shots.

6. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    Connecticut
    ED
    Thanks!
    I have seen a lot of robins build nests this way. They like the protection from weather.

Cheers
    Ed

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Dealing with sun-setting light, I grapped these a few days ago. Where this nest is, about 25 ft off the ground and under the eve, the nest is in a complete shadow all day. I think some of these might be at ISO 400 or 800. Taken at 150mm with the Oly 4/3 40-150.

This was the male with dinner. I think he was being cautious, because he didn't feed the chicks till I backed awa about 20 feet.

P7176738_crop.JPG

Here is him feeding the chicks:

P7176746_crop.JPG

Another one just of the chicks:

P7176753_crop.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tecpatl4

Tecpatl4 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2010
    Midwest
    They are growing fast. Almost ready to fly. They are hardly moving today, it's 100F out there, which is quite high for Ohio.

birds1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Has the mother ever tried to attack you? When I was about 16, there was a robin's nest in a bush. Very readily visible and accessible, it was only about 4 feet off the ground and not in the center of the bush. Everytime I walk over to take a peek, here comes the mother making all kinds of sounds and swooping down. Never peck me or made any kind of contact, I guess to try to scare me off just by flying low and fast so close.

10. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)