Babinet BPM sensors

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jbuch84, Apr 1, 2013.

1. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    I know I haven't posted in ages and this could have been shared elsewhere but Just in case it hasn't, I'm gonna post it :) its just a lil video that explains to future of Panasonic sensors.. Big things are coming.

Babinet BPM Sensor
  2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    There are a few problems with this approach.

- First, it really isn't very different from CMY arrays tried back in the 90s. The gain is illusory, once you convert to RGB you discover you haven't actually gained anything.

- It appears very sensitive to angle of incidence. In the full paper they published it is clear this is targeted at small high density sensors (cellphones and compacts) and that it likely will not perform well at all with lenses as fast as F/2.0.

There is a good discussion of this and the pitfalls over on the Fred Miranda forum:

Panasonic Diffractive Color Filter/Splitter patent - FM Forums

So not likely to be of any use in our m43 cameras. Whether it is of any use at all in smaller cameras remains to be seen, but it appears to have all the problems of CMY which no one uses for a reason despite the fact it would nearly double the received light as well.

Eric Fossum (inventor of the CMOS imager) pointed out in another thread that in the past two decades multiple times people have proposed "getting more light" by altering the filtering array to combine multiple colors into pixels and then difference them in post processing. They all fail for the same reason (see the math examples in the Fred Miranda forum). Eric thinks the problem is that often the pixel designers in the research departments that propose these methods aren't familiar with color processing and reconstruction. They want to publish a paper, marketing wants to tout a "revolution" and so every few years we see another variation on the same flawed concept that doesn't actually work.
  3. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    Happy April 1st to the OP.