1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

    If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Baader Herschel Prism

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by tbyork2012, Oct 3, 2014.

  1. tbyork2012

    tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

    213
    Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    Hi,
    I've recently bought the Baader Herschel prism, to see if I could get better details of the sun in white light. The link is to the unboxing and first images I managed to get of the sun.
    Herschel prism in its case:
    P9270745web.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


    View of the prism:
    P9270747web.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


    http://myphotojourney.co.uk/baader-herschel-prism-unboxing/
    I shall be doing more posts on this with comparisons.
    Boon
    www.myphotojourney.co.uk
     
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Djarum

    Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

    Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    What sort of scope are you using? Does this take the place of using the typical solar filter in front of the OTA?
     
  3. tbyork2012

    tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

    213
    Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    I used a Skywatcher ED80 refractor. You do not need any solar film in front of the scope, as 96% of the light goes to the ceramic tile which dissipates the heat. The remaining 4% is directed to the Baader Solar continuum which needs to be the filter closest to the prism, as it will reflect most (but not all) of the IR away and prevent most of the heat getting through to the eye piece or imaging system. Hence it is fairly safe. But it is not for use with reflectors though.
    Boon
     
  4. Djarum

    Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

    Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Very cool. Appreciate the info. I'd love to see the results when you get a chance.
     
  5. tbyork2012

    tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

    213
    Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    There are two initial images of sunspots taken with the herschel prism at the end of the unboxing thread above if you are interested.
    Boon
    www.myphotojourney.co.uk
     
  6. tbyork2012

    tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

    213
    Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    • Like Like x 2
  7. tbyork2012

    tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

    213
    Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    • Like Like x 2
  8. tbyork2012

    tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

    213
    Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.