1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

B9 RRS Plate for Naked OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by radamo, Mar 23, 2013.

1. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Looking for a QR plate for my OM-D. RRS has a plate for the gripless OM-D that is about $60. But it is big and goes across the entire bottom of the camera. They also have a B9 which is a little postage stamp size one that is for a gripped OM-D and many other models. I saw on FM that someone used the B9 with the OM-D with no grip and they said it fit well. I just wanted to confirm that the flange on the plate fits the OM-D with no issue. The B9 is $49 and due to it's size would be my preference.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    RA

2. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    NoVa
    Rick
    Having been a longtime user of RRS L-plates, the decision to get one for my E-M5 was a no-brainer. As far as my $.02 is concerned, do not get the B9 as it's designed just for the battery holder. As camera plates go, it is far too limting when compared to the BOEM5 set. I have no regrets purchasing that set and can easily recommend it for anyone who uses an Arca-Swiss compatible support system for their cameras.

The Olympus HDL-6 is $300 plus another $50 for an battery. The BOEM-5 set and 2 extra batteries (from B&H) set me back at total $280. The camera plate's ergonomics are quite satisfactory to me and the additional mass poses no problems at all. My camera also stands quite stable on it's own if need be due to the support provided from the L-plate portion.

These pics don't really do justice but might give you some better idea.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/apbtlvr/8288964633/" title="RRS-Pocket Pod-1 by apbtlvr, on Flickr"> 8288964633_c563c52dd3_c. "800" height="601" alt="RRS-Pocket Pod-1"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/apbtlvr/8290024330/" title="RRS-Pocket Pod-2 by apbtlvr, on Flickr"> 8290024330_0035e91ac8_c. "800" height="601" alt="RRS-Pocket Pod-2"></a>

Last but not least, you could always order the set, fit it to your camera and shoot it for a day or so to evaluate. RRS has a good return policy if your not satisfied. My guess is that you end up keeping it however. Hope this information was of help.

• Like Like x 2
  3. docfl

docfl New to Mu-43

Aug 15, 2012
    Florida
    Daniel Weingrad
    The RRS grip is really nice: metal, re-centers the tripod mount, can add on vertical bracket with a few screws. Nicely designed as is most of their "stuff". Get access to ports etc. It does add a little bulk, but IMHO worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have the RRS plate for my EM5. Love it! Camera sits flat with a full-length plate, and I can add grip and/or L later if I want. The extra height improves my grip on the camera too.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

• Like Like x 1
  5. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Thanks everyone for the prompt and informative feedback. Guess I will give the full plate some more consideration.

6. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    NoVa
    Rick
    It's worth noting that the EM5 is a camera with advanced features for taking long exposure photos. The Live Bulb and Live View are very slick and totally fun to use...so long as the camera's on a tripod. The L-Plate & grip make using these features very easy to do. The camera is also a small form factor, especially compared to DLSR's. Adding the L- plate and grip did not change that compactness and portability in my opinion which is another plus.

• Like Like x 1