1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

B&W & Soft Focus Landscapes, Peak District

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Brian Mosley, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello everyone,

I enjoyed a walk over Hathersage this morning, took this landscape and experimented with B&W conversion, and Soft Focus conversion using Olympus Studio, finishing in Lightzone.

E-P1 + 20mm f1.7
    1/320s f/4.5 at 20.0mm iso200

...and the Soft Focus rendition.

E-P1 + 20mm f1.7

C&C Welcome

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 5
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

What a view!!!! They are both very interesting. I love the b & w version. Good lordie, now I am flat out lusting over that 20mm 1.7!! That is quite incredible. The quality of the detail is astounding and I love the way your using the b & w almost makes me feel as though I am looking at an etching... The faraway parts remind me of some kind of incredibly detailed old map...while the foreground brings me back to the reality that this is really a photograph, albeit one that transcends a "normal" photograph.

I wanted to say that I felt your first one had an "other worldly" quality and it does, but that soft focus color version is really other worldly - it has an kind of sci-fi quality to it in my view. The foreground almost seems solarized whereas the far view has that "over the rainbow" feeling to it, at least it does to me.

I am completely clueless when it comes to any sort of manipulation beyond the very basic options of iPhoto. Very interesting Brian! Thank you for sharing both of these versions.:cool:

3. Roni G

Roni G Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2010
    Israel
    The b7w is beautiful. However, the color photo is unique. The golden light, the colors and the snow all make it look like a scene from a fantasy movie!

4. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    Beautiful! I do not always choose the color version. But in this case, I choose color. Again, beautiful work!

5. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks everyone, for looking and for your kind comments...

Two more, in simple colour.

E-P1 + 20mm f1.7
    1/250s f/6.3 at 20.0mm iso200

E-P1 + 20mm f1.7
    1/320s f/6.3 at 20.0mm iso200

Cheers

Brian

6. BBW

OK Brian, these confirm my suspicions - that is Oz! Lovely soft color - and great timing on the rainbows!:cool:

I love the way snow reveals so much about the land, that we wouldn't normally see.

7. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Good observation about the snow melt revealing the texture, colour and contours of the ground... these conditions are also quite fleeting!

Had some great feedback from Bob Tullis over on dpreview,

Here's the first image, developed from raw using Capture One v5 PRO to eliminate any CA (snow is very unforgiving).

E-P1 + 20mm f1.7
    1/320s f/4.5 at 20.0mm iso200

And another rendition of the view with trees, again using Capture to deal with CA, and the sky detail is nicer too I think.

E-P1 + 20mm f1.7
    1/250s f/6.3 at 20.0mm iso200

Thanks for looking.

Brian

8. BBW

Art can be so subjective don't you think? I prefer the first of these two because to me those dark, foreboding clouds looking so heavy and thick are a great contrast to the glow of what lies beneath, far off in the distance.

An incredible view either way.

Was that rainbow there in real life?

P.S. Of course the artist is the one who makes the decision which image to go with and in my point of view has the right to be right.:biggrin:

9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The SF version is a dream. I feel as if I'm floating, asleep in a dream world.

10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, I only ever PP what's there - Lightzone isn't a pixel editor - you can't merge/overlay images... it's more of a photographic darkroom simulator I guess. Levels, contrast, saturation... scaling and sharpening.

Cheers

Brian

11. BBW

Very interesting, Brian. (I can see the virtues of Lightzone as the "photographic darkroom simulator"...and it does seem quite user friendly.) What a great day you had up there!

12. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Texas
    Gary
    Great images!
    I especially liked the black & white image.
    GR

• Like Like x 1
  13. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Brian

those are lovely and would look really good printed on my to be started "photo wall" in France, (when we get back there after the 3 month winter hibernation in the UK).

I worked on Glossop Road, (in Sheffield), from 1965 to 1970 and spend many happy hours touring the pubs in the Peak District, (pre breathalser of course!) - I was an MG fan at the time and we had quite a few "treasure hunts" in that area

• Like Like x 1
  14. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi Brian,

All the shots you have posted are lovely but I especially like the original composition and, out of the two you initially posted, the B&W version. The soft focus colour is an interesting effect and quite tasteful in this instance but it just doesn't do it for me. However, you later posted a "straight" colour version of this original composition and that is the pick of the bunch for me, a wonderful image. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  15. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    This once is my Fave

I love the way the backgound is lit up giving depth to the image, very nice indeed

• Like Like x 1