B&W photos from our trip around the USA

TucsonLawrence

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Lawrence Richards
All,

Here are some square photos from our recent trip around the USA - I want to try to narrow these down to 13 good ones for a calendar for friends and family and would appreciate your inputs greatly as to which to choose. I understand several are underexposed and plan to remove some of the "halo" before sending them to the printer

Thanks in advance,
Lawrence

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35320659@N03/sets/72157649130149091/

barry

Super Moderator
B&W photos from our trip around the USA - LOTS of photos

Hi,

Nice pics!

I'd leave the tombstones out, some people won't like them.

I especially like the one from under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Barry

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Some nice stuff there. I wouldn't put 'LOTS of photos' in the heading when you're actually linking to another site. I hesitated opening the link because I thought I'd be hit with a flood of high resolution photos, which sometimes takes ages to finish loading. Also, as I mentioned in another thread, it's always nice to see a few photos presented in the thread, rather than just asking viewers to go to an external site.

flamingfish

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Emily
I like the tombstones,but I agree that not everyone appreciates a fine bit of creepiness like I do.

In terms of selecting images for a gift calendar, think about your audience (the intended recipients). If they're not into photography, they might be more appreciative of the images that have an easily recognizable subject, rather than the ones that are about texture, or repetition, or artsy stuff like that. (Not to disparage artsy stuff. I like it, but then, I'm sort of into photography.) When I say "easily recognizable subject," I don't mean that they need to be able to say, "oh, that's the Golden Gate bridge" or some other well-known landmark. I mean ones where it's easily recognizable that the image is a picture of a waterfall, or waves and rocks, and so forth. So, mainly I'd stick to the landscapes, and you have a number of good choices there. I like the architectural details as well, like the brick arches (2) and bay windows (19). The shot with the bison in the burned-out forest (27) is kind of grim, and so won't be to everyone's taste, but I think the bison is so cool that I'd include it.

Is the brick arch picture just a tiny bit off vertical, or is it just my eyes that are a little skewed?

This may be strictly a matter of my personal taste, but I don't think that scenes with a lot of small branches and grasses come out well in black and white. To me, they seem to have a lot of undifferentiated detail that makes them too busy. I feel like my eye doesn't know where to rest. This isn't specific to your images -- it's something I feel about this type of image in general. So, those would not be among my choices for the calendar.

So here are my picks for the calendar: 2, 5, 11, 19, 21, 22, 24, 26, 27, 32, 33, 36, 38. Obviously, others' tastes may (and will) differ.

Latest threads

Top Bottom