B&W or Color?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by D7k1, Aug 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Color

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. BW

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    These days, I am processing more in B&W. My formative photographic years were in the late 60's and B&W was the artistic realm for photography. Over the 50 years I done a bit of commercial work, most of it in color (mostly slides) but when I turned mid 50's I slowly drifted back to B&W. Of course I shoot in RAW Color and then process it as I know digital cameras are really only computers and you want as much information to work with as you can get. Sometime I even print (Epson pigment) and I am pretty much in wonderment about the quality I can get from the desktop.

This is a simple poll. Do you prefer Color or B&W photographically based images?

2. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Most of my shots are of people, and for shots of people I prefer B&W.

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I go back and forth. I do feel color is overused in this era of photography, and lots of images look very messy as a result. But I am a fan of mild split toning, which takes the edge off of uncomplementary colors and is commonly used today in one form or another.

I'd rather see a messy color image where everything clashes, however, than a straight B&W conversion where none of the tones or contrast are edited. More often than not people think just converting to grayscale is artsy somehow, but there's obviously more to it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    For the most part I prefer B&W. However, the subject, lighting, composition, etc really dictates whether I shoot (or PP) in B&W.

I have a hypothesis I have shared in other threads. I am red-green weak colorblind. I think that that might be somewhat why I like to shoot in B&W. By eliminating all those shades of green and browns (reddish), I get a better feel for the light. I can compose better and I get more artistic enjoyment.

5. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    We need a both option in the poll. To me it depends on the subject, some thinks look way better in one style than the other and visa versa.

• Agree Agree x 8
  6. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Mostly color (landscapes, wildlife), but occasionally will convert to b&w with certain subjects.

7. AdamSF

AdamSF Shutterbugger

Oct 13, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    Adam
    I shoot black and white film. 99% of my digital photos are in color.

8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I voted colour, but had to think about it. I do love a good B&W.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I prefer color... usually I find when I process in B&W it is because I can't get the white balance to look right (which seems to be an increasing problem for me lately).

10. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    If it's sunny, no clouds, early/mid afternoon then no question, it has to be B&W. The tones are (or should be) better and there are some lenses, the Pany 14mm f2.5 for one, which will produce excellent B&W tones.

11. ionian

ionian Mu-43 All-Pro

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    A friend and mentor of mine on another forum always says that by converting to black and white you are throwing away 95% of the data contained in an image - so you need a damn good reason to do so. I'd agree with this, I'd prefer the richness of shooting colour where possible, but sometimes (often in fact) I choose to simplify my pallette by going mono or tri-tone.

I totally agree with @agentlossing@agentlossing - black and white processing is an art and so often you see just a muddy lump of grey mid tones. I always convert to B&W in post, as options for organising the contrast and playing with colour filter emulators are very important to my images. Having said that, I will usually know when I take the image that I want the final output to be in mono.

12. I'm not sure whether the poll means in camera or final image. Normally shooting with e-m1 and todays lenses ( 12-40 pro ,sigma etc )I'll shoot in colour and convert to B&W later. If I shoot with My Old OM glass , I will run B&W in camera. To me , looking at an image in B&W can give me a different perspective on the scene to Photographed. I recently bought an e-p5 for the sole reason to keep old glass on there all the time . Well most of the time.

13. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    My problem with B&W is that most people don't actually shoot/process BLACK & WHITE well (myself included) and instead we get these shot that are kind of a whole lot of grey scale. In fact many shots you see poking around, say, flickr that are supposed to be B&W often have little actual blacks or actual whites in them. If you look at a lot of the old photographs back when B&W was the norm, true blacks and true whites make a lot of them the great shot that they were.

EDIT: @ionian@ionian beat me to the post button with our shared view of "B&W" photos often being a lump of grey. :2thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. D7k1

Nov 18, 2013
    Well you cannot blame the process for pilot error.

15. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ummm, thank you Capt. Obvious? I believe that is exactly what I said... "most people" (the pilots) don't process them well. I never implied that B&W in of itself was somehow to blame.

16. D7k1

Nov 18, 2013
    Well perhaps you should be more selective in those B&W you view - how many poorly composed, out of focus, bad colors color images are there? You have the classic logical error of going from specifics to a general conclusion.

17. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    :coco::wtf:

18. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    ITT: salt

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    When I asked myself which I prefer the first thing that came to mind was that I don't think I've been doing this long enough to make a definitive statement. I like and prefer both for different reasons. But I think I have a soft spot in my heart for B&W. It's what I learned with in the dark rooms and capture with the old Pentax way back. I always think of B&W as conveying more definitive statements and some of the most respected photographers have made their mark with it. I respect B&W more.

20. Leighgion

Leighgion Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Madrid, Spain
    Leigh L Pang
    I love B&W film but I've an ambivalent relationship with digital B&W. I used to enjoy it, but since I shot and developed my own B&W film, digital B&W just hasn't looked right to me and I rarely do it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.