1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

B&W Metal print?

Discussion in 'Printing' started by popiT, Jun 13, 2014.

1. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Hi,

I have a b&w landscape image and would like to print 18x24 on metal but have never printed on metal before.

Has anyone experienced metal print with b&w? Please share your experience. How to prepare file, which online printer, what surface to use best and etc...

Much appreciated & thanks in advance.

2. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    I have a great 20x30 metal print of my first son when he was a newborn. I did it through Bay Photo, who are amazing. I've used them for metal prints before but this was my first black and white one. Anyway, the quality is awesome. No major file prep required other than post process to taste and submit a file with sufficient resolution. Note that there are different finish options, I went with the true metallic (I forget the actual name they call it) where the metallic backing replaces white on the image... It's quite striking but may not be to everyone's tastes. It works for good, contrasty b&w shots though.

Bay photo usually has coupon codes available or discounts for new customers so check before ordering

• Like Like x 1
  3. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I received two gift certificates for metal prints. I did one color and one BW. The prints were done on aluminum with a high gloss white finish. They are OK. If I have any others done I will go through Bay Photo. The Bay Photo metal prints I have seen are much nicer than the ones from the company that did mine.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  4. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Thanks Jesse. Thanks Mike.

Jesse, you said to submit with sufficient resolution... the image is from my G6 4624x3472, do I just submit that or need to up convert to 18x24(300dpi) 5400x7200?

I just checked Bay Photo. Seems like they have 25% off for first time customer. Will give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks again.

5. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    I've had images printed on aluminium sheets where the aluminium itself is the "white" of what paper would be.
    Can produce some stunning results, especially in B&W

• Like Like x 1
  6. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    No you won't have to up sample. Mine were lower res than that even. The only thing confusing about ordering from Bay Photo is using the ROES upload software, if you haven't used it before. But it's pretty straightforward

• Like Like x 1
  7. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    You're right! The ROES was a little confusing but have sent in my order. I did choose White High Gloss. :2thumbs: Hopefully it turns out good.

:drinks:

8. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Glad to hear it! Be sure to post your thoughts when it arrives. Hope you like it!

9. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Oh yeah, I dread using ROES...takes me forever to figure it out. I did one metal print, when I got a free promo offer. It came out nice. I'd probably like it more if it was larger (Think it's 8x10). I tend to prefer canvas mostly.

10. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Will do.

Yeah, only what version to use was only the beginning :confused: Me too, usually I print in canvas but always wanted to try metal see how it looks.

11. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    I love the look of metal prints, it's my preferred method now, I never do canvas or anything else anymore. But you're right that it looks way more impressive at larger sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

12. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
    Received my print today. Right after I opened the box and took out the print (frameless with just a float mount,) my first impression was... "too small" :eek:

It is very nice. Very shiny. It is different look than paper/canvas prints. It's darker than I expected but not until I put it under some sunlight, then I saw the details I was intended to. Only one thing is it causes reflection, but if looked at the right angle, it just pops!

Yes, BIGGER next time :2thumbs:

Thanks all for the encouragement & pointing to right directions.

The print:

The b&w:

• Like Like x 1
  13. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Very nice! Yeah, they really pop when the light hits them. The color ones I have done are gorgeous. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Printing on metal is my preferred method for my personal work. I use a place that only deals with business', but their product is superb, contrast and rendering is spot on. Lots of options for mounting.

15. Teddys

Teddys New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2013
    Adorama, NYC. Was very straight forward with options for metal prints.
    Great advice and phone help. No brainer upload software.
    I ordered a small sample of the same image on 3 different surfaces.
    Very pleased with Adorama and the results

• Like Like x 1