1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

B&W Lightroom presets

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by salinaale, May 16, 2015.

1. salinaale

salinaale Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2015
    Hi,
    i like to shoot mainly in B&W and i'm searching for some presets (free or not) for Lightroom 5.
    I've tried SilverEfex and i think is great, but i really don't want to buy the Nik Collection just for that.... 119 Euro for just a plugin is too much.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks and sorry for my english :)

Ciao,
    Ale

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It really depends on what sort of look you're going for. There are certainly a wide variety of LR presets available.

If you're going for a sort of vintage filmic look, I've had decent luck with these from Mark Stagi.

Here are a couple of shots processed with the "High Contrast B&W" preset:
    i-Gp7nfb6.
    i-XtWtMz9.

4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There are a number of B&W presets that come with Lightroom and they're a good place to start.

Also, experiment with using and not using the Auto button in the B&W conversion panel. The other thing to experiment with is adjusting the colour channels using the targeted adjustment tool in the upper left corner of that panel: click on the tool icon then click on a tone in the image that you want to change and drag up to lighten the tone or down to darken it while holding your click. That makes it easy to selectively darken or lighten particular tones in the image.

Two other things I notice with B&W in Lightroom is that it holds up to much higher contrast and clarity settings than I use in colour. I rarely push clarity above 15 in colour, and often keep it around 5 or so, but I often find myself using it at 50 and above in B&W, even up as high as 80 to 100 in some cases. I don't go as high as that with my contrast settings but I do go higher than I go with colour images. Also experiment a bit with white balance. Ignore anything you'd do with white balance in colour, just play with that slider freely. It changes the tonal balances a lot and is another slider that can help in creating more dramatic images.

There's a lot you can do without presets and fairly quickly and easily once you get the hang of things. Also once you find some combinations you like you can easily create your own presets for those settings.

• Agree Agree x 1