B&W images much darker in browsers

Real Name
Brandon Jackson
All, I have been running into an issue lately that I can't wrap my head around. I know not to expect images to appear exactly in browsers as they would in Photoshop or other color managed applications but I am still surprised how much darker my black and white images are when posted. I convert them sRGB before uploading them, I have my displays calibrated too. I have a feeling there's something I'm missing (or added) in my workflow in the past year or two as this didn't used to be a problem. I'm hoping someone here will say "Did you remember to xyz?"

BTW, this is even apparent when just viewing the jpeg in windows photo viewer vs chrome. I didn't believe either of these to be color management aware.

Anyone else run into this? Being someone who pays attention to details is good for being a photographer, it can also drive one up the wall too! :)

Any ideas, people? I've attached the one of the images in question. You can see how the shadows block up pretty quickly in the browser but the detail is there in photoviewer, bridge, photoshop, etc.

Attachments

Real Name
Richard
Looks the same in Photoshop as it does in Safari.

First thing I get when I save this image to my Mac then open in photoshop is this:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I don't normally get this when opening pictures from the www, so perhaps this is a clue?

Real Name
Brandon Jackson
That is weird? I never get that but I don't often have a mac to test on... interesting.. and thank you RichardC, I'm going to look at that thread now.

I tried it on Linux (with a colour-managed configuration) and compared the image in Firefox and in the default picture viewer (both colour managed). I do see a difference, especially in the hat, where the greyscale transition seems to be more abrupt in Firefox. I had to look quite hard to see the difference though.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
On W10 comparing Firefox to IrfanView, it actually looks slightly lighter in Firefox. Not a big difference, but I think it is there.
My monitor is recently calibrated, like this week, but I don't know if that makes any difference.

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
On opening the file I get the same error message. The color space is shown as Dot Gain 20%. Changing it to Dot Gain 10% opens up the shadows.

MonikaO

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Monika
Cant open it in photoshop, I get the same error as above.
I do see a difference below.
Left is open in windows photo viewer, right is in Firefox.

test.JPG

Last edited:

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
GIMP complains, more informatively than above, and then opens Braden130.jpg using its D65 Greyscale with sRGB TRC profile. Since the EXIF shows Photoshop 21 as the software after DNG to tiff conversion in ACR 12 I'm inclined to suspect a bug on Adobe's part. An obvious next step would be a closer look at the ICC profile.
Braden130error.png

Real Name
Brandon Jackson
Looks like the icc profile went out as grayscale instead of sRGB. I think I have it sussed out now. Thank yo uguys for pointing it out. Rookie mistake on my part to not have seen that.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom