1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

B+W filter - is the XS worth the extra cost?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ricoh, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Are there any real-world benefits, optically, of the B+W XS-Pro over the F-Pro? I'm after a UV protection filter, but don't want to unduly compromise the optical performance of my lens.
    XS has a brass interface, the F-Pro an alloy (an aluminium alloy I suppose). The XS is thinner too, but I'm mainly interested in the optical performance. I guess there's very little in it, apart from some extra bucks flying out of my pocket (yes we use the monetary term bucks over here too :)).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    As far as I'm aware, all B&W filters use brass for the filter bodies and from their website spiel the only difference is filter thickness. B&W used to make slimline filters that didn't have a thread on the filter front, but it appears that the X-Pro has a threaded front element.

I've been using the F-Pro filters for around 10+ years and would heartily recommend them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thank you OzRay.

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The only difference is the XS-Pro is slim, it has about half the thickness of the F-Pro and the thickness of the black edge around the rim is slightly thinner (it has a few mm more clear area). It's only really an needed if you're using it on an ultrawide, it doesn't make a difference for most lenses (the 12-40mm doesn't need it for example however I believe something like the canon 16-35mm does).

The main thing is to get the MRC-nano version as the newer coating is far better than the old (you can push your fingers around on the surface and it won't leave any oil marks).

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes thinner and the Nano coating listed as:
    • Nano coating provides an improved beading effect with water for more efficient cleaning.
    Steve, I'd say your 7-14 could use the thinner filter, but of course, it can't so..... o_O The Olympus 9-18 would probably be a good candidate for it though.

6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I have located at reasonable cost a B+W46mm XS-Pro CLEAR MRC-Nano filter.
    Considerably cheaper than the same product with UV filtration.

Modern digital cameras shouldn't need a UV filter, and since it's only to protect the lens fundamentally, it should be ok. Do you agree?

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    While they're classed as a UV filter they're too weak to use as one with film anyway IMO, as you say they're weaker than the hot mirror so it doesn't matter with digital.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    UV filtration isn't really needed anymore, but unless they are listed as fully clear, they may have some haze reducing properties. Either way, you can't go wrong with either type.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    The nano coating on the XS Pro line is great - very easy to keep clean.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1