B.I.G 15mm f4.5 T/S (tilt shift) lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Adubo, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    i saw this rumor and didn't think it'll be available soon enough (even a mock up). and now i stumbled upon this image on Flickr and thought you guys might be interested to see how it turns out :smile:

EDIT: as said by Jim, i guess its just a shift lens (no tilt). could be wrong, but hey. the lens says "shift lens" my bad

8001259507_8d5d9abc33_b.

looks a lot like a voigtlander super-wide 15

• Like Like x 2
  2. TDP

TDP Guest

Come to papa darlin!

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    A number of folks are waiting for one of these . . . :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    looks like shift only? where's the mechanism for tilt? I would love a native lens option for T/S. Big hole for me.

5. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    looks like you're correct. and the lens does say, "shift lens". my bad

6. TDP

TDP Guest

I just hope that doesn't turn out to be a typo

:)

7. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Not wide enough to be of much value for most architectural work.

8. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    15mmis fine for architecture work. lets face it the ts-e 17mm is a freak lens and Canon only, and the 24 is more the standard FL. Not going to bicker over 6mm. and the FoV may not be that much different depending on how the lens is designed.

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    6mm is quite a bit on the wide end! Still, there are a number of fairly popular 28mm shift lenses, so this could be interesting.

There do seem to be a number of Nikon F-shift adapters (and other mounts as well). It seems the main advantage here is size, compared to say a Samyang 14/2.8 on a shift adapter.

DH

10. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I'm waiting for a shift lens, and 15mm for me is just about right. I used to have a PC-Nikkor 28/4 and I found it more than wide enough, even for architecture shots. Shifting such a lens already gives extreme perspective. The amount of shift is 5.3mm and that is a little less than I had hoped for, but still very significant; I didn't offen go beyond 8mm with my PC-Nikkor 28/4, which is equivalent to 4mm shift for the BIG lens (neglecting the difference in equivalent focal lengths).

With this B.I.G. lens I have one major concern. It's probably based on the Voigtländer Heliar 15/4.5 and this lens has its rear element very close to the sensor, causing colour shifts towards the edges. I believe Leica has this corrected by profiles per lens for their own wide-angles and also tries to design the sensor to minimize the impact of oblique rays. MFT cameras are not designed to cope with this, so I'm anxious to see how good this lens will be, especially when shifted.

So I'll wait and see how this turns out, but I'll jump to it as soon as the lens proves to be worthwhile in terms of sharpness, distortion, colour shifts, mechanical quality etc.