B&H Sony 32GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 45mb write $25 + free shipping

D

Deleted member 16786

Thanks for the heads up OP. I bought a 16 GB card. I did a few tests for those who are interested in the performance difference.

Setup:

OM-D set to high speed (9fps) with 12mm f/2.0 lens. Lens is prefocused.
Photos capture in LF/JPG (4608x3456) - ~7mb in size.
Hit shutter with one hand, pres stopwatch with the other.
As soon as high speed shots stop, release shutter.
As soon as disk write icon clears, stop the stopwatch.
3 runs of each - results were identical each time.

Old card: 32 GB Class 10 from Komputerbay (10 MB / sec claimed)
Photos Taken: 14 (98 MB)
Time to clear buffer: 21 secs
Average write speed: 4.7 MB / sec

New card: 16 GB Class 10 UHS from Sony (10-45 MB/ sec claimed)
Photos Taken: 19 (133 MB)
Time to clear buffer: 9 secs
Average write speed: 14.8 MB / sec

There you have it, a three fold improvement in performance (although neither card measures up to its state rating) as well as being able to take 5 extra shots in one burst. Well worth the $11 that I paid for it I think.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Guys get this version (I just did) instead. Claim is 50mbs write 80 read but I found a tester somewhere found it to be about 70 or so write?

Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 80MB/s (SDSDXS-032G-X46): Computers & Accessories

I would be hard pressed to justify the $9 premium (actually $12 premium once California sales tax that Amazon charges - is included) for the SanDisk card vs. the Sony card. I don't shoot many big bursts

stevendotwang

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steven W
I would be hard pressed to justify the $9 premium (actually $12 premium once California sales tax that Amazon charges - is included) for the SanDisk card vs. the Sony card. I don't shoot many big bursts

Agreed.

I just got my 32 Sony card in the mail. I am very impressed.

With 20mm focused, I am able to shoot 17 bursts (I shoot raws) in a span of 1.7 seconds, it took less than 5 seconds to clear the cache. OMD doesn't let us review our shots until the cache is fully cleared so the quick clearing due to the high write speed is quite useful.

This was a worthy upgrade from my previous card.

stripedrex

Do or do not. There is no try.
Real Name
Alex
HUH! No no no, it's SANDISKS NEW 80MBS Extreme (not extreme pro) card. Click the link and look at the picture man =).

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
HUH! No no no, it's SANDISKS NEW 80MBS Extreme (not extreme pro) card. Click the link and look at the picture man =).

We know that - what's your point? It's significantly more expensive than the Sony card. It ends up being 50% more for someone in California

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have a couple of these cards and they perform very well. The price has gone up though, I got mine for $16 each earlier in the year from B&H. Lately, I've been getting Sandisk 64GB cards for $20 from Amazon. They pop up 500 of them at a time and they sell out in a few minutes. Amazon has been doing this a couple of times a week for the last few weeks.

D

Deleted member 16786

The ones you linked are 20 MBPS write Micro SDs - a long way from the 50 MB write full SD that was posted above.

stevendotwang

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steven W
So to clarify things, the extra write speed (50mb/s vs 20mb/s) will let you take at most 2-3 extra raws(16mp) in one burst so that isn't the main selling point. The biggest advantage of getting a fast card is the speed at which the cache clears so you can shoot with high speed again.

I moved from a 10mb/s card to 50mb/s, my cache clear used to take 10-13 seconds, it now takes 3-5 seconds which is a huge improvement.

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
The ones you linked are 20 MBPS write Micro SDs - a long way from the 50 MB write full SD that was posted above.

Why do you think that it has 20MB/s writes? And where exactly did I say anything about it's speed let alone compare it to the card posted above. Seems you are still making erroneous assumptions.

D

Deleted member 16786

Why do you think that it has 20MB/s writes?

I found a description on one store (Best Buy?) that listed 20 MBPS write speed. Can't find it at the moment. The manufacturer doesn't even go that high - just states read is 30 MBPS, write is "lower." Here (click on specifications tab): SanDisk Ultra microSDHC and microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with SD Adapter

From user boards it's actually more like 12MBPS - not UHS speeds at all. User test: Warning on Sandisk Ultra cards and hero 3 black cameras. [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

And where exactly did I say anything about it's speed let alone compare it to the card posted above. Seems you are still making erroneous assumptions.

Right here (the card being discussed immediately above your post is the 80MBPS sandisk):

I have a couple of these cards and they perform very well.

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
I found a description on one store (Best Buy?) that listed 20 MBPS write speed. Can't find it at the moment. The manufacturer doesn't even go that high - just states read is 30 MBPS, write is "lower." Here (click on specifications tab): SanDisk Ultra microSDHC and microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with SD Adapter

Sandisk doesn't list the write speed for the ULTRA 64GB card in it's specs. I have never seen it listed in a spec anywhere. I find your claim highly suspect.

Right here (the card being discussed immediately above your post is the 80MBPS sandisk):

Let's look at what I said in it's entirety, instead of out of context the way you are quoting it.

"I have a couple of these cards and they perform very well. The price has gone up though, I got mine for $16 each earlier in the year from B&H. Lately, I've been getting Sandisk 64GB cards for $20 from Amazon. They pop up 500 of them at a time and they sell out in a few minutes. Amazon has been doing this a couple of times a week for the last few weeks."

I was clearly referring to the Sony cards in that sentence you quoted. If I meant to relate it to a previous post I would have quoted that post. I didn't. Thus I was referring to the cards that are the topic of this thread. Regardless, the Sandisk EXTREME cards that other poster discussed, and you are now claiming I was referencing, are not the same as the Sandisk ULTRA cards you and I have been discussing. You must realize this since you posted a link to the ULTRA cards and not the EXTREME ones. So how is that line you pulled out of context even relevant in answering my question to you of when did I ever speak about the speed of the Sandisk ULTRA 64gb card from Amazon? You are pulling my statements out of context and misrepresenting them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom