B&H Mega Deal Zone

Real Name
Neil
Noticed some good SD card deals:
SanDisk 32GB Extreme PRO SDHC UHS-I Memory Card USD$10.99
ProGrade Digital 64GB UHS-II SDXC Memory Card USD$27.99
ProGrade Digital 256GB UHS-II SDXC Memory Card USD$79.99

159 Vello brand photography accessories are also discounted.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/mega-deal-zone/deals

Last edited:

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
This backpack might interest those who favor the incognito "this bag definitely isn't full of expensive camera gear" look:
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 7.28.29 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It has an aggressively normal exterior:
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 7.32.30 PM.png

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._t2810_1919_runyon_mirrorless_camera_bag.html

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I'm kicking around the idea of grabbing this Nanuk 920 protective case for $80 to use as a lens storage system.

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 2.33.12 PM.png
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/902354-REG/Nanuk_920_1001_Case_with_Cubed.html

Looking at the dimensions, I think it will accomodate 10-12 :mu43: lenses. It's likely overkill protection-wise for my use case, but that's fine by me.

- K

SyZyGy

Mu-43 Regular

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Folks have mentioned Harbor Freight for cases such as that. For similar interior size (HF's "large") it's half the price : https://www.harborfreight.com/3800-weatherproof-protective-case-large-black-63927.html

Just putting that out there for your consideration.
Great suggestion, thanks!

I wouldn't hesitate to spend the extra $40 on the Nanuk if I intended to abuse it and really test the waterproofing and durability. But for my intended use-case this case will sit on a shelf in my house 99.9% of the time, so HF quality is probably sufficient.

- K

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I bought an Andycine C6 two months ago for video. Unfortunately, when I tried it out a few days ago, it no longer worked. The screen wouldn't display anything. Given I bought my Andycine from a random ebay dealer, I don't have any options in terms of warranty repair (I did in fact contact Andycine support twice, but I've just got crickets).

So when the B&H Mega deal came up, I decided to look at the on camera monitors that were for sale. I selected the FeelWorld F5 Pro 5.5" V2 4K HDMI IPS Touchscreen Monitor at $60 off ($119). Because of my experience with the Andycine monitor, I did pony up for the 3 year drops and spills protection program ($25).

Unlike the Andycine C6 monitor, this monitor has a brightness of 500 cd/m2 compared to 2600 cd/m2. That means on bright days outdoors, I will need the sunshade that is provided in the box. Hopefully it will work. Note, compared to some of the other monitors, the FeelWorld monitor is a lot brighter (250/300 are more common). At the moment though, my primary place for doing outdoor videos closed down before the Covid situation.

While I was looking at B&H, I saw that they had some retractable HDMI cables, so I picked these up as well. I realize that these cables are only good for 1080p and not 4K monitors, but the FeelGood monitor is only 1080p, as is the external portable monitor I got for my laptop. I feel the retractable cables might help with cable clutter. The mini HDMI cable is for the external portable monitor from the laptops, and the micro HDMI cable is for the camera to the FeelWorld monitor.

Real Name
Walter
I'm kicking around the idea of grabbing this Nanuk 920 protective case for $80 to use as a lens storage system.

View attachment 895873 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/902354-REG/Nanuk_920_1001_Case_with_Cubed.html

Looking at the dimensions, I think it will accomodate 10-12 :mu43: lenses. It's likely overkill protection-wise for my use case, but that's fine by me.

- K

I bought a Pelican 1510 w/padded dividers several years ago to serve as a camera storage case with desiccant packets to control humidity. In our humid sub-tropical climate this is important for mold protection. It cost considerably more than this, but the padded dividers avoided having to cut holes in the foam. Not sure that's an option here. Still, using desiccant cartridges in the case would be one way to keep your stored lenses safe. I eventually replaced the Pelican with a dry cabinet, which has humidity control. B&H has some dry cabinets on sale too.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I bought a Pelican 1510 w/padded dividers several years ago to serve as a camera storage case with desiccant packets to control humidity. In our humid sub-tropical climate this is important for mold protection. It cost considerably more than this, but the padded dividers avoided having to cut holes in the foam. Not sure that's an option here. Still, using desiccant cartridges in the case would be one way to keep your stored lenses safe. I eventually replaced the Pelican with a dry cabinet, which has humidity control. B&H has some dry cabinets on sale too.

I like the idea of padded dividers, cuz I could reconfigure easily.
I have an old case with a solid foam core. Without cutting a new foam dore, I was/am pretty stuck with what I can put in the case, to what will fit into the already cut core.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I looked at the version with the padded dividers, but it was priced at a 50%+ markup compared to the pickapart foam version. You're right, though, that would be more versatile. I think I'm okay with the pickapart version as the lenses I intend to use it are ones that I intend to hold on to long term.

I ended up taking the suggestion of @SyZyGy above and checking out the Harbor Freight version. They happened to have a store on my way home, so I popped in and grabbed the case he suggested (except that I spent an extra $3 for a high-vis orange version). I took a break from picking out foam to type this.

Great tip on the dessicant. I'll definitely use that, even though our Seattle climate isn't nearly as tropical as yours - the "heat dome" of the past few days notwithstanding.

- K

Real Name
Walter
I looked at the version with the padded dividers, but it was priced at a 50%+ markup compared to the pickapart foam version. You're right, though, that would be more versatile. I think I'm okay with the pickapart version as the lenses I intend to use it are ones that I intend to hold on to long term.

I ended up taking the suggestion of @SyZyGy above and checking out the Harbor Freight version. They happened to have a store on my way home, so I popped in and grabbed the case he suggested (except that I spent an extra $3 for a high-vis orange version). I took a break from picking out foam to type this.

Great tip on the dessicant. I'll definitely use that, even though our Seattle climate isn't nearly as tropical as yours - the "heat dome" of the past few days notwithstanding.

- K

I hope the heat dome came without high humidity. Our temps have gotten as high as low 90's, but with the high humidity, it's unbearable. I was in Las Vegas once when the temps were over 100. I think it got up to 112. But, since it was dry heat, it wasn't as awful as our tropical high heat+humidity. We had to drink a lot to stay hydrated, because you could almost feel your mouth, nose, and lips getting dehydrated, but not as debilitating as heat+humidity.

Anyway, be careful out there.

Real Name
Walter

- K

I think of Seattle as getting a lot of rain, so humidity may still be a concern.

Real Name
Walter
I like the idea of padded dividers, cuz I could reconfigure easily.
I have an old case with a solid foam core. Without cutting a new foam dore, I was/am pretty stuck with what I can put in the case, to what will fit into the already cut core.

I think they sell extra foam for those things. Or, you could check out the hardware store for foam pieces. Years ago, I once converted an old case, probably for a typewriter, into a camera case by buying foam slabs to put inside and cutting holes for gear. It wasn't the gray color you usually get, but the ivory colored slabs they usually sell. Pretty cheap though.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
It's definitely not
I hope the heat dome came without high humidity. Our temps have gotten as high as low 90's, but with the high humidity, it's unbearable. I was in Las Vegas once when the temps were over 100. I think it got up to 112. But, since it was dry heat, it wasn't as awful as our tropical high heat+humidity. We had to drink a lot to stay hydrated, because you could almost feel your mouth, nose, and lips getting dehydrated, but not as debilitating as heat+humidity.

Anyway, be careful out there.
I appreciate your concern.

It's definitely not been a dry heat. Not quite sub-tropical humidity but WAY more than places like Vegas. We set a new all-time temperature record (since the 1940s) two days straight -- it hit 108° yesterday and it was dang near unbearable. Most homes here, including mine, don't have central AC. Yesterday my thermostat got up to 92° and I know it was 10-15° hotter upstairs. Thankfully we have a basement where it was a more bearable 80-85°.

Today it's "only" 90° and it feels downright cool. I'm hoping the worst is behind us now.

- K

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
If anyone is curious what it looks like, I posted a couple of pics in this thread.

- K

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom